Nam pla, Thai fish sauce

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
A few people have inquired about nam pla. Since I do a bit of Asian cooking I thought I'd do my best to explain. Nam Pla, Thai fish sauce (similar to Vietnamese Nuoc Mam) can best be described as tasting somewhat like a fishy/funky, very salty soy sauce. However, soy sauce is made from fermented soy beans; nam pla is made from fermented fish.
Don't be put off by the concept. The flavor, like that of anchovies, adds a rich, slightly pungent quality to dishes. It smells funky, but tastes wonderful. (The Romans had something nearly identical -- garum was their condiment of choice, made from fermented fish, served as a dipping sauce with fresh herbs.)

Soy sauce is not really a good substitute for nam pla, but can be used as a last resort. Nam pla has its own distinctive flavor. In soups and curries, a little bit is added during the cook, and sometimes another dash is added at the end. It's is also indispensable in Som Tom, green papaya salad (like a Thai cole slaw with a cacophony of flavors: fish sauce, sugar, chilies, lime juice, minced raw garlic, crushed and toasted peanuts along with the julienned green papaya). Note: Filipino fish sauce is not a good substitute. The flavor is more aggressive and not suited for Thai or Vietnamese cooking.

Use nam pla with a bit of caution. It is very salty; much saltier than soy sauce. If you plan on doing some Thai or Vietnamese cooking on a semi-regular basis, buy a bottle of the good stuff. Three Crabs brand nam pla is generally regarded as one of the best quality fish sauces. The label looks like the one below, but with Three Crabs pictured. (I currently have a bottle of Shrimp and Two Crabs brand, maybe it's second best?
icon_wink.gif
) If your can't find that brand, I find it a good principle to buy the most expensive (or nearly) I can find. The cost between the not-so-good and best is only a dollar or two. This goes for any Asian condiments -- hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, etc. The bottle will last quite awhile. I find it is always best to buy Asian condiments in Asian markets. The quality and price are better than at your supermarkets. The supermarket brands of Asian condiments are typically "dumbed down" versions of the better stuff, and more expensive than at the Chinese market.

A note on using fish sauce and soy sauce in general... Contrary to popular belief, cooks in Southeast Asia use salt as well as soy sauce and/or fish sauce. Soy and nam pla have distinctive flavors and each can easily overwhelm the other flavors in a dish. Use each with restraint. If the dish needs more salt, use salt, not just more soy or nam pla.
Best of luck with your cooking adventures!

IMG_2685.jpg

my new favorite use is this sauce:

1 part palm sugar
3/4 part water

heat until sugar dissolves, remove from heat add:

1/4 part fish sauce

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J do you use this as a dipping sauce? Seems thin to use as a glaze and lacking acid for marinading. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its part of this recipe.

I drizzled some on towards the end of the cook, poured some on before serving, dipped into it while eating, and drank a little for dessert!

I'll have to give it a go.

My favorite use for nam pla is in larb gai.

Rough recipe:

1 lb ground chicken or pork
1 red onion sliced thin
1T chili garlic paste
2-3 hot red thai chilis
1 small stalk lemon grass, crushed and minced
juice of 2 limes
1T honey
1/2 cup each minced mint, basil and scallion greens
approx 1/4 cup nam pla
1/2 cup toasted rice powder (easy to make in a skillet + mortar/pestle or grinder)

cook ground meat in skillet with red onions and nam pla until cooked through

combine all other ingredients and toss to combine. Serve with greens of your choice or on its own. Serve with additional nam pla for dressing.

So **** good in the summer.

we're going to attempt the NYT / j biesinger ribs this weekend ala fish sauce / long pepper / palm sugar. We live in a rural part of WA state - so not a lot of Asian markets in this neck of the woods. I ordered a bottle of the fish sauce, and knew something was up when I saw the look in the eye of our FEDEX guy a couple of days later - I'm pretty sure he wanted to kill us, as a large 24oz bottle arrived busted. That is some seriously funky stuff! Needless to say, we got another bottle ordered and delivered, this time unscathed - Looking forward to checking out the recipe. Thanks for all the information!

Love adding a little to my fish cakes when I make them up.

Ditto on getting Asian condiments at an Asian store/market.

Great advice, article and detail Thanks Jay.

Back