painting brinkman smoker

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
If I'm out of line here, let me know.
Cam any one offer any advise, on the best way to "prepare and paint", the outside on my smoker.
The main body has some rust where the paint has peeled off plus some grease etc. Thats the way it was when I received it as a used "Gift" Thanks for you help. john

If it's black, there are several different high-temperature bbq paints available (Krylon, Rustoleum, etc.). For other colors, there is at least one manufacturer (http://www.forrestpaint.com/faq1.html#FAQ11). Get a spray can of the color you want, and follow the directions. Basically you'll need to remove all the rust, and clean off all grease. You may or may not have to prime the metal before applying the color coat; if you do prime first, be sure to use a high-temperature primer that is recommended by the manufacturer of the color coat. If you're painting over an existing finish, roughing it up with fine grain sandpaper is always a good idea to improve the bonding of the new paint. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations about drying time and/or the need to cure the paint with a slow fire.

Larry,
Thanks. I'l do as you indicated. I guess no matter what I do to it, it still won't look like a WSM, but it will look as good as it can, at this stage of the game. Thanks Again.
John

You can get some High Temp paint from an auto parts for engine blocks or Brake calipers that will work. I used Dupli-Color Red Engine Enamel to paint my Drum smokers to match the Red Weber lids.
500* rated

Back