Wings on the Q

James Trapp

TVWBB Fan
I have trouble cooking wings on a Q300. I have a hard time getting crisp skin without burning some of the wings.

I arrange them in the middle and turn the center burner off. The wings nearest the corners of the outside burner burn easily unless I rotate them often. If I rotate them often the skin sticks to the grate.

I think I may need to start cooking them on a rack and place foil under the rack to deflect any direct heat. The Q is wonderful for most grilling but cannot achieve a good indirect setup in my opinion.

What about starting on a rack over foil - say 375 for 35 - 40 minutes or so - then jack up the heat for the next 10 minutes or so until finished. You'll want to keep turning the wings when the Q is on high heat to keep the skin from burning.

By the way - where are you in North Alabama? I'm from Lauderdale County.

Pat

I have some grill bricks that I use for various things. They were hard to find, but when I found them in stock at Menards, they were cheap.

Anyhow, I would try wings by placing them on foil that is on the grill brick. in other words, use the grill bricks as a pizza stone.

I also stuff foil in the holes at the far sides of the grill grate in order to minimize heat loss.

When I cook on my friends Q300 I keep the heat down and cook a little longer. I turn up the heat in the end to crisp the skin.

I am going to try a foil barrier next time. I already do that for whole chickens. I also believe that the broad bars of the grate while good for steaks and chops is a hinderance when cooking wings.

My son has been doing most of our cooking the last 3 weeks in preparation for living on his on without a meal plan.
He's been cooking exclusively on our Q220
Wings have turned out great!
Marinated for 2 hours in wishbone & crystal hot sauce & put on the Q on low.
These are grilled wings & must be turned every 5-6 minutes.
Took 20- 30 min & the skin got crisp & they were great.

You know, maybe I am not turning them enough. I belong to the school of thought that you cook something 60% or so through on one side then flip once and finish (except for smoking which I do not flip anything). Maybe if I deviate and flip often enough I will not have a problem. Although as mentioned in my OP I have tried this before and the skin sticks to the grate but this could be remedied by rubbing the grate with fat beforehand.

I may not need to worry anymore I just bought a craigslist silver C and I plan on using it for everything indirect and I do plan to keep the Q for doing direct and if I need to take a grill somewhere.

I bought the Q300 a few years ago thinking it would serve my needs of cooking for one or two 98% of the time and cooking for ten or so 2% of the time. It works great for chops, chicken breasts, and steaks. But I cannot make a good wings on it no matter what I do and whole chickens require a roasting rack and a blast shield. It heats up quick, gets to 600 without the need for gas guzzling BTUs, appears to be durable and well made. But it does not lend itself to indirect cooking.

Back