any tips/advice on first comp?

jake dorning

alright guys not to keep beating a dead horse, but the time has come for my very first bbq comp. next weekend. i have both 22's and performer cleaned up and ready to go. i've purchesed 2 canopys, 2 tables and so many other tools and supplies i thought i might need! if any of you have a go to tool or supply that you don't mind giving up would be awesome or just any random piece of advice on bbq competing! thanks so much in advance. jake

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jake dorning:
alright guys not to keep beating a dead horse, but the time has come for my very first bbq comp. next weekend. i have both 22's and performer cleaned up and ready to go. i've purchesed 2 canopys, 2 tables and so many other tools and supplies i thought i might need! if any of you have a go to tool or supply that you don't mind giving up would be awesome or just any random piece of advice on bbq competing! thanks so much in advance. jake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jake, volumes have been written. What specifically do you need or feel you are lacking? Besides being able to cook, make boxes and not forget anything, I would say one of the most valuable items to me is a very specific time line for your comp day. Ie, 7am start coals, 7:30 rub chicken etc. How many meats are you cooking, and who is the sanctioning body?

Mark

As a KCBS Rep., I alway tell new competitors to just have fun. (And I'm sure you will!)

If you have any questions about cooking when you're at the competiton, most of your fellow competitors will tell you everything you need to know except how to win. I've even seen competitors give rub or sauce to a new team and then lose to them with their own stuff!

When I competed, the thing I didn't bring once when I needed it was weights to secure my canopy when it got windy--even a little bit of wind can lift a canopy.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the experience--it likely won't be you last.

bungee cords !!!! The handle on WSM broke during transport cooked my first comp with a bungee cord holding the door on. how to BBQ right has a decent list you can print out.

Make a goal. We had 2 goals. Ours were.
1st- get all the entries turned in on time.
2nd- do not come in last.

We almost missed our first goal. Have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if any of you have a go to tool or supply that you don't mind giving up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a big fan of the coleman stacker. As we pulled meat off the cookers we used to toss it in a warmed cooler. It turned into a big mess once a couple meats were in there. I bought a couple of the stackers and each meat has its own home until turn in. Ignore this if you currently own a cambro pan carrier.

A checklist of things to pack and the timeline are great things to get yourself organized. Being organized at a comp will bring your stress level way down. Remember to have fun.

J, I have some issues with mine. I bought 3 plus the rolling 1. 1 of the 3 would not stack properly. Retailer sent me another, and it will not stack properly. Retailer refused to send another one, and referred me to coleman. Coleman never responded.

Our 2nd sanctioned comp is coming up next week and I will be taking weights for our EZ Ups, more dry coolers than I think I need (to store warm meat) and a propane burner to heat water, etc.

The one thing I will do different this time is to follow my timeline (not just bring it). I'm also considering building my basic boxes the night before and storing them in a cooler.

Good luck!

Back