World's Oldest WSM

I'm giving her a bath on Saturday (which I like to do at least once a year) and as I run my hand over her bottom, I noticed some bulges that weren't supposed to be there. Concerned, I began scrubbibg the inside of the bowl and I felt some rough patches and bubbles that I knew were not a good sign. In fact, they were so bad I knew straight away that they would be inoperable.

Cancer.

Caused by chipped and flaking porcelain.

So I'm gonna have to put her away.

The World's Oldest WSM has cooked her last meal, and to preserve her for posterity she has been lovingly dried, and placed high in the garage rafters; a place of Honor and Reverance. A place where all of the other cookers will have to look up to her.

She's the one that brought me to you folks here, and I thought you should know.

Thanks for caring.

Me? Aw, I'll be alright. I still have four more WSMs. For now.

When you wrote world's oldest WSM, I first thought that you were kidding. Then I noticed in your toy section that you own a circa 1980 model.

My condolences. I'm sure that she gave you many years of joy and good food. May she rest in peace.

Clark,

Why'd you want to do that "bath" thing to a perfectly good WSM. Without that protective layer of ash in the bottom you ruined that classic smoker.

Anyway, your sacrifice means that my WSM has inherited the title of the oldest WSM still in active use.

Thanks.

If it's just the bowl, how about a transplant? When I bought my WSM, the bowl had a 1" ding in the rim, with the porcelain chipped off. Weber sent me a new one, and didn't ask for the old one back. I'm sure there are a lot of other spare parts out there for similar reasons. A lot of ladies of, shall we say, a certain age have had "a little work done". I don't think giving your WSM a new derriere would be such a bad thing.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
I don't think giving your WSM a new derriere would be such a bad thing.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree Larry.
Except this is the only know WSM with "B" date codes. Pretty tough to find a matching bowl.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll just keep buying them off of CL.

Back