First strip roast

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
On New Year's Eve I was in a local butcher shop to pick up something for the next day and spotted a tray of strip roasts. Since I'd never cooked one and they were $8/lb. cheaper than the rib roasts I picked up a 3-pounder. Look at the awesome fat cap! (Images are clickable thumbnails.)

I made a paste with fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, oregano), garlic, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and olive oil because I'd something similar (from Weber's time to grill) with a ribeye the night before and really liked how it turned out.

The rotisserie is probably my favorite way to cook a roast and I took this one to the upper 120s.

Since it was New Year's Day I grilled some asparagus and twice-baked (actually once-baked and once-grilled) potatoes made with smoked string cheese, grated parmesan, milk, butter, olive oil, and herbes de Provence. I underestimated the amount of time the potatoes would need to get brown but they still turned out pretty good.

The moment of truth! The roast wasn't quite as tender as a rib roast would've been but it was still plenty good, and the herb paste added some nice flavor. At $6/lb. I can easily see myself grilling a strip roast every so often.

Brad

Thanks for posting this Brad. I was looking at one of these at the store the other day, but all I really thought about was cutting it into steaks. Looks great!

Back