Recommend A Good Toaster

Richard Batey

TVWBB Fan
My toaster is destined for the garbage can. With the darkest setting at 6, it takes 2 cycles to make toast "toast" dark enough.

Can you recommend a good, 2 slice toaster?

Thanks.

Richard

If I may piggyback (and bump)...

I'm interested in a 4 slice toaster that will accept bagle slices. I like the retro look that's out there but have to settle for cool-touch models at this time. TIA

Bill

Having limited counterspace, I opted to replace my toaster with a convection toaster oven - I also considered the toaster to be too much of a unitasker....I have this one in storage, works fine...make me an offer
icon_smile.gif

http://www.1oel.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.as...6586&refsession=0508

We recently bought a 4-slice Cuisinart toaster from Costco for about $30. So far, it's performing perfectly. Toast seems to get done faster than the old toaster and the darkness works great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cameron:
I have a toaster from 1949 - works beautifully and is completely automatic.

Toasts the way it should toast, and its built to last.

http://www.toastercentral.com/4Sunt20nell.jpg

ToasterCentral.com is where I bought mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is one sweet toaster you have there Cameron. Real nice.
icon_cool.gif

It might be expensive for some, but when I look at Toasters that range from the $20 (runs so hot you worry about it) to the hundreds of dollars I would rather have something that was made to last, has had its power cord replaced and good running condition guaranteed by ToasterCentral, and has stood the test of time. And most importantly, toasts really, really well. My $200 investment should last another 50 years easily.

Good luck with your toaster quest (TM) Richard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
Having limited counterspace, I opted to replace my toaster with a convection toaster oven - I also considered the toaster to be too much of a unitasker....I have this one in storage, works fine...make me an offer
icon_smile.gif

http://www.1oel.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.as...6586&refsession=0508 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Don, but as I said earlier, I'm really needing something that's cool to the touch right now with youngin's runnin' 'round.
icon_wink.gif
I did do a little research on yours and the reviews are all over the place .. What's up with that?

Bill

I'll "second" the post about the Cuisinart unit:

Ours is a 2-slice in chrome.

It's built in the old-fashioned way (look into the slots for several rows of wavy nichrome wire. The ones with quartz tubes are GFS - they heat unevenly (our previous Krups unit went into the dumpster because of that).

It also has buttons & LEDs (separate, for each slice) for Bagels, and has nice wide slots.

The range of settings do what they should - light is light, dark will burn it if you're not careful. And consistent.

I think it cost around 60 USD, which I think was not bad.

Thanks to Cameron who posted in this thread about Toastercentral.com, I now have a newly refurbished Toastmaster B14 chrome toaster. A great American built product made to last.

Richard

Very cool. You are most welcome. I love my vintage toaster, meat grinder (with ice crusher attachment), and coffee percolator...

A lot of old stuff is well designed, and has lasted forever.

What year is your B14?

cameron, links to yer other stuff ? we gave up on toasters and went to a toaster oven. much more versatile, at least for us.

An early 50's Oster Meat Grinder. It is decent, not as powerful as I thought, but a beautiful machine. It works well.

General Electric Pear Percolator from the 50s - makes good coffee, I like espresso as well but this makes good coffee.

Sunbeam Model T20 Toaster - perfect every time, easy on the eyes

All from ToasterCentral.com

http://www.toastercentral.com/appliance1.htm

4Sunt20nell.jpg

age33p30.jpg

aostergrinder2.jpg

Great place, would love to learn about other sites as well that are similar.

Cameron - I don't know the year of the B14. Go to the page of toasters, 1940s onward, and scroll down just a bit. You'll see the Toastmaster "Best value." The heavy steel case is plated in highly polished chromium which is quite attractive.

I'll post a photo later.
Richard

Tim....

>$900 for a TOASTER?!?!? A freeking TOASTER?!?!?

Reminds me of an old Robin Williams joke about cocaine..."it is gods way of saying you make too much money"....

Back