Cleaning Terra Cotta Saucer

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
In my WSM, I use a foil lined terra cotta saucer in place of water as a heat sink. Well, yesterday some of the liquid fat from the smoked butt seeped onto the terra cotta itself and I don't know how or if the saucer should be cleaned.

How is it cleaned? Just water? Soap and water? Placed under the broiler for a few hours to evaporated the oil?

Also I would recommend trying the South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce as recipied in Steve Raichlen's book entitled BBQ USA. The only mod made to his recipe was the substitution of apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.

Similar thing happened to me the other day; unfortunately, I waited to clean it before my next cook vs. immediately after the cook it got "messy" on. Cleaned up great with standard dish washing liquid. However, I believe the saucer absorbed the water I was washing it in and I had a hell of a time getting my WSM up to temp. I recommend washing it and giving it a couple of days to dry out.

Maybe a stupid question but is there really any reason to wash it? Is the concern that the fat/drippings would imparts some taste into the next cook? I have never cleaned mine but am wondering if I should.

Bob

Natural fats contain acids which, upon exposure to air, turn rancid. So yes it may be necessary to clean the terra cotta saucer asap after cooldown.

Have you tried wiping it down real good, and putting it in your grill up-side-down and use the heat of the grill to clean it up?

Gary

Okay it's been washed in sudsy soapy water and thoroughly rinsed but fat can plainly been seen abosrbed into the terra cotta. I may either:

1. place on a heated grill as you mention;
2. place in a 500 F oven (or broiler) for several hours and that's how my baking stone is cleaned. The question is therefore will terra cotta stand up to those high temperatures?

Tjkoko, I don't know if I'd get too concerned with getting your clay saucer back to new condition. Here's what my well used saucer looks like:
Steaks097.jpg

Back