Spices & Ingredients Question...

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
Hey All,

I am new to the forum, I have been reading allot of great posts. I basically have a few questions. I hope this is the right spot for this thread.

Basically I see all of these Rubs and Sauces with all of these ingredients. What I am wondering is this. Since I am just starting out how do you come by these ingedients? Im guessing your not going to the local supermarket and buying tiny McCormick spice bottles. So where do you get your spices?

Secondly, if you were just starting out as I am, if you had to get say 15 spices just for "Q" what would they be?

I have looked around and saw some recommendations for Penzeys but they dont sell their bigger quantities in bottles but bags, so do you buy some empty spice bottles and fill them up with the bagged spices?

Welcome Eric!

Yes, right spot.

Many people do indeed by spices at the supermarket and quite a few buy at warehouse stores. I have found the quality dubious at both.

I buy from Penzey's, The Spice House, World Spice and, for many dried chilies, Sweet Freedom.

I buy in bags pretty much regardless of quantity and use various jars I've saved (jelly, mayo, old spice jars--some I have are 30 years old or better), but I have purchased spice jars as well.

See this post as well, for a spice list idea.

I also buy bags from Penzeys and use various containers. I love smoked paprika, so I'll buy a bag of it and store enough for a week or two in a small magnetic cup I bought, they look like this:
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/27/b/AAAAAgIlWuAAAAAAACe9-w.jpg
I just buy the cups at BB&Beyond for $2/each. I do the same with crushed red pepper, mustard, oregano, etc. Whatever is left in the bag just gets resealed and then sealed again in a ziploc. I go through them fast enough that they seem to hold up pretty well.

Like Kevin, I'm dubious of the wholesale club spices. I've bought whole black pepper there without any issue, but was really disappointed with the paprika I bought.

Another great place for spices is Indian grocery stores if you have one convenient. They use a lot of spices common in rubs like coriander and cumin, and are generally of higher quality and lower price than supermarkets.

Back