Spreadable cheese, aka cheese spread

JimT

TVWBB Pro
We have a favorite holiday recipe that calls for "Extra sharp cheddar cheese spread" as one of the main ingredients. What we're talking here is just a spreadable cheese, usually found in an 8 ounce jar or tub. No extra flavorings, just the cheese. Alas, we can no longer find it in any stores around here. Sharp, yes. But not extra sharp.

Is it possible to make your own? I was wondering what would happen if you started with extra sharp cheese, chopped it up fine in a food processor, then added maybe some milk and processed until smooth. Would that work? Would it still be "extra sharp", or would the milk take some of the "tang" off?

Any and all ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

JimT

Use softened cream cheese instead of milk. You won't need all that much so any reduction in tang will be minimal. Use the tangiest extra-sharp you can find and it probably won't be any less tangy than commercial cheese spreads as they tend to use cheese that is less aged.

You'll get the best result is both cheeses are at room temp before blending. But pulse the processor and scrape down the sides frequently. If the contents gets too hot you could have a little breakage.

Thanks Kevin, I'll try that.

As a follow up, my wife called the people she got the recipe from. They told her they had no problem finding it, and would pick her up a few jars. They called back today to say they have it for her. When they read the label to her it was "sharp", not "extra sharp."

"Oh, yeah," they said. "That's what we're using now."

LOL,

JimT

Jim - For future reference, next time a cheese spread is needed look in a cookbook published by a church or social club. Mine (A Quilter's Christmas Cookbook) includes nineteen (19!) recipes for cheese spreads, cheese balls and cheese logs.

Here are a couple that you may want to try - I left off the chopped nuts that the balls are normally rolled in.

16 oz cream cheese
8 oz extra sharp cheddar
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
dash of cayenne

Mix well.

Or ...

8 oz cream cheese
4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
2 TBSP milk
1/8 tsp pepper
3 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix well.

Bon Appetit.

Originally posted by JimT:
Thanks JR,

Interesting that both of those also call for "extra sharp cheddar."

JimT
That was me. They originally called for cheddar or sharp cheddar - I was helping meet your extra sharp criteria. I have a feeling that the blue cheese in the one will give you the extra sharp tangy-ness you are looking for in your spread.

Jim

Back