Stoker in the COLD!

frank sledjeski

TVWBB Member
Well Hello All....I am new to this forum, but have been posting over at green place for a while. My question related to using the stoker and a wireless bridge in the cold winter months of northern new england. Anyone have any experience with this in the snow or sun-zero temps?

Thanks,
Frank
BoneDaddy's

I live in Southern California so I can't speak to cold weather, but I've had limited success with a wireless bridge. I ended up running a Cat 5 ethernet cable to my barbecue area. My Stoker is now hard wired to my router and it works much much better.

Bill

I don't think there are any issues associated with using a wireless bridge in the cold. A few people have reported that their probes lose connection in extreme cold. People deal with this by putting the Stoker in a foam ice chest with blankets and/or hot water bottle. Seeing as you are in NE you are going to want something to protect it from the elements anyway.

I can confirm that the Stoker had serious problems in cold weather with the original firmware. My unit was saying the cooker temp was 170 when my BGE temp gauge was reading 350. After that time I started placing my stoker in a styrofoam ice chest with a heating pad. The new firmware supposedly fixed the problem but I'm not willing to risk it so I can't say if it's 100% fixed now.

Back