Thermapen cleaning?

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Hello All - I mentioned this in my other Thermapen post but I am going to use it for the first time tonight when I grill and thought I'd add it in separately with the subject specifically if anyone has any advice.

The Thermapen directions say to use anti-bacterial wipes to keep the Thermapen clean for when you put it in undercooked food and then want check later to see if it is done. I have not been able to find any so far. Today I bought "disinfectant wipes" that seems more for counters, etc., and it says "for surfaces that may come in contact with food, a potable water rinse is required." I was going to bring a little bowl of water and wipe the tip of the Thermapen with the wipe and then rinse it in the bowl.

I also do have a sink nearby and could do a quick rinse there. Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions? What do you do to keep your Thermapen clean in the field?
icon_wink.gif

Thank you -

Laura

I've used Clorox Disinflectant Wipes from Kroger's followed by a damp cloth and then dry cloth.

I've used the wipes from Thermapen but found they dried out quickly. I can't find my Thermapen literature but I think I recall that running water over the probe is not recommended.

Here is some correspondence between a Thermapen rep and myself.

Gary,
I would recommend our probe wipes found on our website here http://tw3.thermoworks.com/pro...cessories/wipes.html
If you prefer to use the Clorox wipes, yes those would be fine. You always want to make sure after wiping it down to make sure it is dry if using a water based cleaning method. The probe wipes we recommend are alcohol based, and the moisture evaporates rather rapidly leaving the Thermapen clean, disinfected and dry after using them. If you have any other questions let me know, I would be glad to help.

Charlie Owen
Service
Thermoworks, Inc.
Charlie@thermoworks.com
PH: 801-756-7705
Toll Free: 800-393-6434

A mixture of 50 parts per million of household bleach to water will sanitze your thermometer (and other food contact surfaces) As will wiping it down with vinegar or alcohol. I haven't checked the price of Thermowoks probe wipes, but I'd wager you could find an alcohol wipe cheaper that either is or would do the same thing.

what's with not getting the probe wet?

i usually run the tip under the sink...

i just had to replace a probe for my maverick remote thermo, and do not want to have to replace the pricey thermapen...

j,
The manual recommends to not "immerse" the probe. Running water over it may be okay but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Here's a statement from the manual.

Cleaning and Maintenance
To avoid potential bacteria growth and cross-contamination, wipe the probe after each use and regularly
clean the entire Thermapen body. We recommend anti-bacterial wipes or a damp paper towel with an
anti-bacterial cleaning solution. DO NOT IMMERSE THE THERMAPEN. The built-in seals will protect the
Thermapen from incidental moisture but due to the folding probe, the Thermapen should not be submerged. Protect the plastic body from high temperatures. DO NOT LEAVE THE THERMAPEN IN AN OVEN
OR ON A HOT SURFACE.

Here's a link to the manual.

http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf...roof_User_Manual.pdf

Alcohol and cotton ball - check! Can it be rum? Arrrrrrrrr.

I had an Oregonian thermometer eat it by getting immersed. My Maverick's won't suffer the same fate.

Thanks all - very helpful.

Now, where has that rum gone?

Laura

Isopropyl alcohol is very inexpensive. I keep several bottles near the grill and smoker because I use a soda can stove to light my briquettes. Just squirt enough on a paper towel to wet it and wipe down your probes. If alcohol doesn't kill it, you probably ain't gonna get it done with anything else.

Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
j,
The manual recommends to not "immerse" the probe. Running water over it may be okay but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Here's a statement from the manual.

Cleaning and Maintenance
To avoid potential bacteria growth and cross-contamination, wipe the probe after each use and regularly
clean the entire Thermapen body. We recommend anti-bacterial wipes or a damp paper towel with an
anti-bacterial cleaning solution. DO NOT IMMERSE THE THERMAPEN. The built-in seals will protect the
Thermapen from incidental moisture but due to the folding probe, the Thermapen should not be submerged. Protect the plastic body from high temperatures. DO NOT LEAVE THE THERMAPEN IN AN OVEN
OR ON A HOT SURFACE.

I think they are implying not to immerse the entire unit. The probe part is fine to get wet, just not the case. You can use the Thermapen to take liquid temperatures, (they go as far as to talk about testing bath temperatures in their literature - oh my!) so I'm pretty sure you can get it wet
icon_wink.gif

Peter,
You're probably right that washing the probe only is okay. In fact, I did do the boiling water test on mine and it didn't cause any problem I know of.

After my correspondence with thermapen, I decided to go with the a damp rag, wipes, and then dry rag. The damp rag gets the crude off, the wipes disinfect, and the dry rag gets any moisture off. I do the same thing to my digi probes and any other food probes.

Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
Peter,
You're probably right that washing the probe only is okay. In fact, I did do the boiling water test on mine and it didn't cause any problem I know of.
QUOTE]

Last year another cook asked to borrow my Thermapen to calibrtae his analog thermometer... I turned away and after a few minutes I returned in horrow to discover that he had my Thermapen submerged in ice water about half way up the case.

That night I took it all a part and took a hair dryer to it and it has been working fine ever since.

I got advice on my other Thermapen thread from Kevin to get alcohol swabs, individually wrapped and used to wipe the skin prior to an injection or a finger stick (diabetics). Works great, easy, no worries.

Thank you -

Laura

QUOTE]

Last year another cook asked to borrow my Thermapen to calibrtae his analog thermometer... I turned away and after a few minutes I returned in horrow to discover that he had my Thermapen submerged in ice water about half way up the case.

That night I took it all a part and took a hair dryer to it and it has been working fine ever since.[/QUOTE]

I think he would have bought it if it were me.

At my local pharmacy I picked up a box of disinfectant wipes for diabetics. They are small 1"x1" alcohol wipes and came in a 100 count box for just a couple bucks. These work great for me.

I got advice on my other Thermapen thread from Kevin to get alcohol swabs, individually wrapped and used to wipe the skin prior to an injection or a finger stick (diabetics). Works great, easy, no worries.

Thank you -

Laura

This is what I use too. You can get a box of a hundred, as listed above, for just a few dollars. Also good for cleaning surfaces before applying adhesive as the alcohol removes any oil that may be present and affect the bond of the adhesive.

Something like this:
alcoholWipes.jpg

Last edited:

Back