Jerky and Bacon smoke

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I cut up and marinaded 6 lb of EOR. This morning I dried it all off and laid it out on 16" pizza screens.
IMG_4658.JPG

my stack consisted of:

1) 18" bottom.

2)first middle section with a water pan (clay pot mod) and a top grate. On the top grate I stacked 3 pizza screens.
IMG_4659.JPG

3)second middle section went on top of that with a bottom grate with 4 pizza screens.
IMG_4660.JPG

and the top grate got the bacon.
IMG_4664.JPG

4) lid
icon_biggrin.gif

Great jerky set-up Jeff!
But I'm too lazy/cheap.
I thread the strips onto lightly oiled bamboo skewers, and dangle 'em through the grate slots.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wow thats a great setup never tryed jerky. any hints tips?(time/temp)

Bless </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is my second attempt, so I'm in no position to give advice.

I went with a thicker cut this time and I don't think 24 hrs was enough to fully cure the beef. the thicker pieces are still like beef in the center, not like jerky. I'm at 6 hours now, and will go a few more but don't see how it'll turn into jerky anytime soon.

Originally posted by Wolgast:
Wow thats a great setup never tryed jerky. any hints tips?(time/temp)

Daniel,
IMO, the best temp is around 150 F.
Time is a large variable depending on how thick the slices are, and how well they are drained.
When I used an electric type smoker it would often take 18 to 24 hours since the temp on mine ran about 125 F on a warm day.
Using the WSM, I smoke the strips for around 3 hrs., and then finish in my cheap model dehydrator.
Many recipes say to dry until nearly brittle, but I like to leave in some moisture since I don't plan on it being around long.
HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Daniel,
IMO, the best temp is around 150 F.
Time is a large variable depending on how thick the slices are, and how well they are drained.
When I used an electric type smoker it would often take 18 to 24 hours since the temp on mine ran about 125 F on a warm day.
Using the WSM, I smoke the strips for around 3 hrs., and then finish in my cheap model dehydrator.
Many recipes say to dry until nearly brittle, but I like to leave in some moisture since I don't plan on it being around long.
HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went about 6 hours at or around 150* and stoked it up to 225* to get the bacon done. I took the bacon off and let it go around 200* until I got back at the 9 hr mark. Most of it was over done (brittle). Next time I know to keep it low and wait it out.

I also set up the screens so they can be flipped around mid smoke or removed at different times. For this smoke the bottoms got done first, so next time I know to actually shuffle them, like I planned. plus I want to do a better job sorting the pieces by size so I can leave the bigger ones on longer.

Back