BBQ comp Site ?'s

Brian Merz

TVWBB Member
I am thinking of hitting up a few comps next year and have a ? about site sizes. Would a 10x20 canopy be too big? I don't want to be the guy who is ontop of the other comp teams. Also does the site size include your parking?

It varies. Most of the comps I go to advertise 20x40 sites and that everything MUST be within those dimensions. Then you show up to find out that nobody really gives a flip. Some of them do if they are really cramped on overall space.

Same sort of deal of vehicles. The only times I've seen them get in a twist about vehicles is when they have limited overall space or they want the cooking area as close to the crowd as possible. I even went to one where they wanted the rear of everybody's trailers turned around so the public could see what was going on. Organizers still try to make Comp BBQ a spectator sport.

If you're going to cook under canopy then 10x20 would be just fine. If they give you grief about your vehicle then I used to just tell them that the bed of the truck was my bedroom so I needed it close by.

This was my setup before the trailer.
PA080108.jpg

Probably one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to be SURE to keep at least a table between your cooking area and the public. People will do all sorts of crazy things and will virtually demand a sample of your product. I've had more than a few people tell me that they paid the entrance fee and they deserve a sample. I even had a guy reach over and grab a piece of pork still on my cutting board.

Most of all, have fun with it and be sure to take breaks and sit down/rest when you can.

Russ

Brian, Some promoters are more able to provide larger sites than others. I have a 10x10 canopy and at many sites that is all the room you get considering your space for smokers and wash stations. Most times you can park your vehicle on the cook site but many times that is not possible. Check with the promoter and get a written description of the site you get before you send in your money. Here are a couple pics of comps I did.

Mark

RibStock2011017.jpg

morganhill2011017.jpg

RCcompradiopics001.jpg

Varies is right. I have been to some that have unlimited space and others that give only 20x20 spaces. I would set everything you use in a marked 20x20 area at home and decide what suits your needs, Remember that there will be teams on each side of you. I like the big canopy but we use 2 10x10s because sometimes we can only use 1 of them. Varies.

Back