Quick Marinator Food Preparation System

Phil Hartcher

TVWBB All-Star
Has anyone seen or used one of these Quick Marinator.
For 30 bucks it looks like it is gimicky.
I am thinking about getting one becuase it's another toy.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil; the "as seen on TV" used in the ad
should be a pretty good indicator of how
useful this thing will be. You can buy a
lot of Ziploc bags for $44.95. :)

Phil,

I have one of these. My only concern would be the strength of the vacuum motor. I have a foodsaver and considered getting their marinating attachment, but the vacuum on the Reveo is substantially stronger therefore shorter marinating times. As Bob states a zip lock bag is much cheaper and this is quite true, but it requires time in the bag. I vacuum tumble chicken while I am getting the fire lit, and other prep done. Its ready to go in twenty minutes. It has its place. I would look into the strength of the motor on the product you are looking at.

Gary

Phil,
Do you have a Food Saver or something comparable? Most will accommodate a hose attachment to use with a canister that accomplishes the same thing. You don't get the spinning motion, but I think it's the vacuum that speeds the penetration of the marinade.
Paul

Anybody got experience with one of these vacuum marinators?
Vacuum + tumbling seems like it could be effective at accelerating the process.

I've use the one that came with my FS a couple of times.

I made pickles in a couple of hours with it. And used it a few of times for brining and marinading. I think it works, but so far I haven't found it to be too convenient or necessary. I'm finding it a bit tricky to get the right amount of meat and liquid so everything is cover but the container is not overfilled.

I'm trying to remember how it went and I seem to recall that the meat almost came out too marinaded.

I bought the Reveo Marivac a few years ago when my local Barbecues Galore store was selling them. It speeds up the marinading just like the food saver containers do but the tumbling also tenderizes tough cuts of meat. While the meat's pores are open absorbing the marinade, the tumbling drum which has paddles, flips the meat end over end stretching the meat fibers. I used it on cheap sirloin steaks with good effect. One day I threw some chicken breasts in there with some Chaka sauce, evacuated the cannister, set it to tumble 15 minutes, went out to fire up the Performer, came back and to my surprise, the lid fell off spilling chicken/marindade all over my counter,cabinets and floor. I was ****ed! Took it back, got another and aparently the vacuum was weak because the lid would not stay on. The only thing that holds the lid on is vacuum itself. I took this one back and was done with it. Btw, the cheapo one has a hand pump.

Marinating is nice. By all means. But I tend to base my cooking on meat and vegs that have a great taste on their own.
My impression after watching this video is "All food tastes bad, you'll have to add good taste to food". I do not think I need one.
icon_smile.gif

But if it works as good as advertised, why not give it a try? I'd love to make one of those unions with a selection of spices.

By all means, there is a big difference between a rack of ribs and a nice piece of tenderloin, but still, IMHO there is no need to add flavour to a perfect piece of meat.

By the way, they forgot to mention that it fits under the bed!

Back