Real New York Cheesecake

This is the real deal. If you want graham crackers or crushed oreos you want a cheesepie. This is cheesecake. Cake doesn't have a crust. If you've never had cheesecake with out a crust, you're in for a real treat.

4 8-ounce containers whipped cream cheese
16 ounces sour cream
1 stick sweet butter
5 eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice

1. Let cream cheese, sour cream, butter and eggs stand at room tempurature for approximately 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375*

3. Blend cream cheese, butter, and sour cream together, then add cornstarch, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. With an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until well blended.

4. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Continue beating until mixture is very smooth.

5. Pour mixture into a greased 9-1/2 inch springform pan. Place in larger roasting pan filled with enough warm water to come halfway up the side of cake pan.

6. Bake for 1 hour, or until top is golden brown. Turn off oven; let cake cool in oven, with door open, for 1 hour. Remove and let stand for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.

It is important to note that the process of cooling this cheesecake is every bit as important as cooking it.

Tom, can I assume that topping is of personal choice? Fruity, chocolatey, BBQ sauce /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Or do you recommend it, as is?

Tom, thanks. This is the year I've been learning to bake and cheesecake was next on my list. So, how timely!

I have two questions for you:

1. Does the water leak up into the springform pan when you partially submerge it?

2. When you open the over door to cool the cake, do you open it fully, or just open it a few inches?

Thanks for posting.

Bob j - The cheesecake is fine as is, or you can get a can of blueberry, cherry, or strawberry pie filling and spread it over the top.

Kevin - you're welcome - you'll love it.

Ed - I've never experienced the water leaking into the springform pan. I guess it would depend on the quality of the pan. Just open the oven a few inches to cool it.

America's Test Kitchen on PBS did a recent show on cheesecake, and they featured a segment in which they tested about 9 springform pans. They dyed water green in order to see if it leaked into the cheesecake, and every pan tested experienced some leakage.

Their recommendation is to wrap the outside of any springform pan with foil before going into the water bath.

Regards,
Chris

Back