Prospects of finding a used ATC?

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
I have been slapping around the idea of getting an ATC. It seems that it would remove some of my anxiety during the cook ( i am always checking temps and wondering if they are correct etc). Also, truth be told I love gadgets and toys. The thought of controlling the temp from a computer is really cool.

As some background, I have 4 month old twins. Greatest things in the world, but as I found out yesterday, sometimes they need more attention and the smoker takes a back seat.

Don't get me wrong, the smoker stayed pretty solid but it was the anxiety of wanting to check the temps when I was changing diapers etc.

In the middle of the cook I told my wife I want a Stoker for Christmas.

All of that leads me to this question, do you see many ATCs for sale out there? The aforementioned twins also put a dent in the budget so I was thinking that getting one used may save me some coin.

I have searched craigslists around the country (love crazedlist.com) and no luck yet. Is it worth the time?

Also, sorry for the long post....

They are out there, but rare. A wireless remote thermometer is less expensive and could do the trick.

I have GURU and it makes overnight cooks easier.

I have to say that I picked up a used one very recently from this board. I don't think it was posted more than a few minutes when I saw it. It was a stoker with two blowers, two probes, WSM adapter and a wireless box and it all works very well together. I was extremely fortunate to see the posting so quickly and I acted immediately. I would recommend creating a search on eBay with the word Stoker in it so that when one arises, you will be notified. Also subscribing to this forum and receiving updates immediately would help.

The choice between the Stoker and the Guru comes down to whether or not you are interested in using your computer to monitor and also whether you have the expertise to deal with arcane network issues. I had no problem with the network stuff and the setup of Stokerlog and Timers was a piece of cake for me. There are folks who don't care for all the computer stuff and who are extremely happy with the Guru. Either way, you cannot really lose. They both help you to sleep at night and I don't even use my Maverick Wireless anymore. I LOVE my stoker! It is fantastic, especially with StokerLog and Timers! Good luck. I hope you can find one.

All the best,
Tom

Thanks for the replies. I have the Maverick remote but after reading everyone talk about being able to set it and forget it I love the idea.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong product on their site, but it looks like this guy in Houston is asking more $ than what a new one costs (I'm sure I'm missing something here)...

I bought a used Stoker local to me...kinda funny how I got it...I first spotted a rare WSM on craigslist...the first one I saw a couple weeks earlier I missed...
icon_mad.gif
But this one I was first on...went down to pick it up, and when I was loading it in the car, noticed there was eyelets on it...thought to myself, wow, that's nice...

After I got him I thought to myself, "self, I wonder if the seller had a Guru or Stoker...???", so contacted him through email again and low and behold he had a Stoker. He sold it to me for $125, a very fair price, IMO, including the extra meat probe and WSM adapter.

Couldn't be happier with the package he sold me, both the WSM and the Stoker. I have used them way more than he did, I suspect, and have only had them for a few months.
icon_smile.gif

He only used the WSM once or twice. He had a Big Green Egg, so no big deal for him to off the WSM. Not sure, but I think he has a guru that he uses on the BGE.

Back