Mr. Brown vs Yellowman: pulled pork

FJ Abraham

TVWBB Fan
OK, I've only done Mr. Brown for pulled pork. MANY times. We love it but I've often wondered if I should try the mustard style.

Can anyone comment on the difference and likes/dislikes?

Are you referring to doing a mustard slather before applying the rub? If so I don't find a huge difference. Some say you get superior bark but I think it's marginal at best. Give it a try, it's all good!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Straw:
Are you referring to doing a mustard slather before applying the rub? If so I don't find a huge difference. Some say you get superior bark but I think it's marginal at best. Give it a try, it's all good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, I've stopped experimenting with the mustard slather for the same reasons.

I think though that he may be talking about the yellow style of NC BBQ/PP though vs the red? That would be more about the sauce/dress while pulling, etc than prep. AKA NC Red sauce vs NC Yellow?? I'm only familiar with the red style of NC BBQ/Sauce but have heard of the other.

the only reason i use a mustard slather is to help the rub stay. i taste no mustard flavor, or see any yellow color after the smoke.

my butts always have a great bark, but i've always used mustard on my butts. so i can't say which is better, with or without.

I've always used mustard on my pork butts, but you never taste it or notice it. I may try the next one without just to see if there's any difference.

Back