Ribs (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Forgive me forum, for I have sinned.
I tried doing baby backs with BRITU rub and glaze as per Chris' recipe on TVWB, but on a kettle for times as per the Weber grill website (ie for hour and a half). Did this cos I don't get home form work til about 6 and wanted to eat ribs at a reasonable hour.
I've gotta say, they were really good! Different to those done on a WSM. Maybe I've had them on too long on WSM?
Maybe because here in Oz ribs aren't a traditional dish & I don't have a proper frame of reference (it's a long time since I visited KC Mo), I'm just not properly edjimicated!
biggrin.gif

Rest assured, I don't par boil or grill the things.
I would appreciate any comments to put me on the right track.
regards
Jock

BTW, WSM doing chicken breasts @ 225 for 25 minutes is still the best way I've ever tasted.

Jock, I guess you're saying the ribs on the kettle were better? Nothing wrong with that, but you should be able to get great ribs from the WSM.

I don't do baby backs, I do spares. They usually take longer than I think they should, but when I'm properly patient, they come out great. I also pick slabs that look a little fatty, when you're doing low and slow the extra fat helps keep the rib moist and tender. Give us a little more info about how the ribs come out on the WSM, maybe we can give some advice.

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilbur (edited 10-31-2000).]

Hi Doug, I'm not sure if they're better, but different. The kettle ones seem jucier, somehow. One point I just thought though, the ones I'd done on WSM had been frozen, while the kettle ones were fresh and from a different butcher.
I'm not really sure whether we get spares or babybacks - here in Oz, they just call them "American Ribs", as the usual cut for ribs is Chinese style.
But thanks to Chris's info on ribs, I'm of the opinion that we usually get babybacks.
Back to my WSM ribs, as I said they just seemed different. Nobody's complained about my WSM ribs (although my Mum & Dad didn't think I made enough!
smile.gif
) so I just have to spend a lot more time researching ribs. And pulled pork ... and brisket...
regards
Jock

I tried some ribs on the WSM last night, same rub & finishing sauce as last kettle ribs, using fresh ribs from same source as last time.
WSM wins by a mile.
Better, smokier aroma, definite smoke ring, certainly falling off the bone.
Used a 3:2:1 mix of maple
tongue.gif
lum:hickory. Maple & plum courtesy of trimming my own trees. Seems to work quite well.
I suspect I was taking the spares off too early before. Just gotta keep practising, I guess.
biggrin.gif

regards
Jock

Cripes! I don't know what happened to plum, above .... Oops! it was the colon-p.
redface.gif
Anyhow, the plum didn't mean to be rude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back