My second pastrami....

Dan Cassaro

...and my third WSM smoke. #2 was BRITU, and it was amazingly good.
So, we all loved the pastrami so much, I thought I'd do that again. Since the last didn't quite cure all the way through, I let this one cure for 4 days instead of 3. And, as it was a bit thinner, I smoked it around 200 instead of 225.
End result...
http://i557.photobucket.com/al...cass50/pastrami2.jpg

Very very good. A tiny bit less tender than the first one, but the flavor was just as good. And the aroma when you open the foil to carve it is just heavenly!
So, where is the rest of it, you ask? We just hot pastrami for dinner!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks to all on this forum for your encouragement. Now, on Sunday, the bacon comes out of the cure and into the Weber!
Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Cassaro:
A tiny bit less tender than the first one, but the flavor was just as good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pastrami is one of my favorite things to do with the WSM. Looking at the photo, maybe-- just maybe-- you may have not been slicing against the grain as well as you could have, which could account for the perceived less-than-tenderness. Probably didn't stop you from eating it though, no? Me, neither.
icon_smile.gif

Doug,
I'm sure you are correct about not being across the grain. This one came out just about round, and I was trying to figure out how to slice it, but the family was hungry, I was hungry....
icon_smile.gif

When I slice up the leftovers for sandwiches, I'll be a bit more careful!
Dan

One trick to keep track of which way the grain runs is to cut small bit off a corner and remember which way the grain runs from that reference point. I like to score the remaining fat cap with-the-grain about every half inch, and then I know to slice perpendicular to that.

Ray,
I used the dry rub pastrami recipe from this site. It's very simple, maybe that's why it's so good!
I like the idea of scoring the fat cap to insure I know which way the grain is running. I guess I will just have to keep working at it... Darn.
icon_smile.gif

Dan

Back