browing chicken skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Goodmorning,

As I just put a 6# chicken & some St.Louies on,a question came to mind.

I know many of you cover everything w/ yellow mustard,as do I(when I remember to), to hold the rub on better & to brown.Since it's the sugar,for the most part that browns,I mixed the mustard 50/50 with light corn syrup,thinking the added sugar may brown/crisp more.

Has anyone tried this? Did it work?

I will post results.

Theo B.

Hello,

The chicken did not brown any more than usual.

Theo B.

[EDIT->] Jim,it was exactly that,golden.Kept temp. 225-240*,skin was definately tasty with the syrup.I may try maple syrup sometime.

Thanks,
Theo B.

[This message has been edited by Theo Theophilus (edited 09-25-2000).]

Theo
The sugar will burn and turn black if allow the pit to run over 275*
You should get a golden color if the temps are correct, very dark brown or black is a sign that you had a temp spike.
Jim

Jim,
Based upon your experience do you find that different sugars have different heat tolerances before turning black. Not that a little black isn't that bad.

Specifically, I have used the Succor rub with turbinado sugar and the Wild Willy rub with processed sugar. I think the turbinado may not be as prone to blacken as processed sugar.

Thanks

Brian

Brian
Turbinado does best at higher heats, but if
you stay under 275* pit temp burning of sugar shouldn't be a problem.
One thing nice about WSMs are the fact your not fighting temp spikes every few hours when haveing to add fuel ie: offsets and badly engineered water cookers.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back