Using Foil (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have read a lot of adverse comments about using foil during cooking barbecue, "Texas crutch" etc.
But I notice in "Smoke & Spice", they seem to suggest that unless you're using an offset, you might as well use foil for brisket (and maybe pork butt).
Also (I think it was Stogie) someone said in MIM meets foil was used a lot in cooking.
I haven't used it at all (except to keep warm in the cooler), and I like the results I had. But it seems that foil would shorten the time.
Any opinions regarding the taste difference ('cos I guess taste is the important thing) using foil? TIA
regards, Jock

Oops! I don't use foil to keep MYSELF warm in the cooler! To keep the cooked Q in the cooler. Just to clear the confusion.
regards

Jock
Foil will shorten the cook time, it will
also change the texture. You end up stewing the meat in it's own rendering fat. Personely I don't care for it but there are a lot of folks that do.
I can cook tender BBQ without using foil, but while competing if you are out of time
and your not there, you do what you've got to do.
I don't see any reason to foil based on what type of pit you are cooking on. I cook on WSM
and Klose offsets, don't use foil on either.
Jim

I have cooked briskets both ways, and I must admit that I've cooked more of them using foil than not. The brisket example shown on the Web site, which is based on Mike Scrutchfield's approach, uses a normal cooking approach until the meat hits an internal temp of 165-170*F, then you foil and bump up the cooking temp to 300*F until you reach an internal meat temp of 205*F.

This does save time, and the result is very tender, moist brisket that tastes very good, in my opinion. The approach has certainly been very successful for Mike in competition.

I do think that brisket cooked without foil will have better outside meat--crunchy with more concentrated flavor--than brisket that's been foiled.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you both for your advice. I guess I'll have to do a taste test (YUM!). I haven't done brisket for a while - pulled pork has been a family favourite since trying Chris's recipe on this forum.
[As an aside, here in Australia pulled pork is virtuallly unknown except to expat Americans, and now my family & friends. I'd never tried it until reading TVWB: now I'm addicted]
regards

Brisket has become my favorite and I have found a much better product without foil bringing the temp to 188 on the WSM.

Just my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back