Thermometer review

J Reyes

TVWBB Pro
I need a thermometer at work to document food temps on the steam table a couple of times during service.

My Thermapen has worked great so far for about 4-5 years but it is out of service now. The battery is bad and one of the battery terminals broke. I'm going to call to see if I can get a battery terminal at a reasonable cost. If I can't, I think I found a replacement.

I recently borrowed a DeltaTrak Flash Check 11061. It is a size I prefer which allows me to put it in a shirt or cook's sleave pocket. Also the digital read out size is big similar to a Thermapen. The temp read is about 5-6 seconds. The probe protector has a magnetic strip which allows storage on a refigerator or similar metal object. Price is about $25 online.

I know ThermaWorks has a Super Fast Pocket version but DeltaTrak's large digital readout is an attractive feature.

A couple of weeks back I used a HVAC Fieldpiece SPK1 which also responded in about 5-6 seconds in a nice foldable pocket size but it has a smaller digital read out compared to the Delta Trak. The Fieldpiece is very durable ... strong enough to punch through duct work.

I checked on Amazon for this and couldn't find this exact model. But I did find the 11063. The readout looks similar. On the Deltatrak site the spec pages say the 11061 has a readout time of six seconds. The 11063 has a readout time of five seconds and only $17.50 through Amazon.

I'm glad you put this up here because I want an instant read therm but don't want to pay the thermapen price.

Buy it through Amazon but only after clicking on the link from TVWBB site.
Deltatrak model 11063

Originally posted by Mark Schnell:
I checked on Amazon for this and couldn't find this exact model. But I did find the 11063. The readout looks similar. On the Deltatrak site the spec pages say the 11061 has a readout time of six seconds. The 11063 has a readout time of five seconds and only $17.50 through Amazon.

I'm glad you put this up here because I want an instant read therm but don't want to pay the thermapen price.

Buy it through Amazon but only after clicking on the link from TVWBB site.
Deltatrak model 11063

Mark, you know <span class="ev_code_GREEN">you</span> can't buy it through amazon dot com? And for <span class="ev_code_GREEN">you</span>, amazon dot ca doesn't carry it.

Fortunately, CTA carries a cheap $15 one
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST...ometer.jsp?locale=en
10452704_image.jpg

Works well for me (2nd year using it on the same battery). It's not 5 seconds (more like 10) but for me (roast, bread baking), it's not an issue.

For clarification, the DeltaTrak it's not near the speed of a Thermapen but a lot faster than analog.

In a static heat test like a pot of boiling water the DeltaTrak is 5-6 seconds.

Time testing in meat or other food products may appear to take longer than boilng water as the meat/food temperature changes and is not as static like boiling water.

Originally posted by Len Dennis:

Mark, you know <span class="ev_code_GREEN">you</span> can't buy it through amazon dot com? And for <span class="ev_code_GREEN">you</span>, amazon dot ca doesn't carry it.

Fortunately, CTA carries a cheap $15 one
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST...ometer.jsp?locale=en
10452704_image.jpg

Works well for me (2nd year using it on the same battery). It's not 5 seconds (more like 10) but for me (roast, bread baking), it's not an issue.

Actually, I've bought stuff from Amazon.com since I've been in Canada. Not an easy thing to do but I needed a book I couldn't get through amazon.ca. I'll be heading back home to Michigan for two months this Friday so I can order stuff there anyway. Glad to know CTA has an option.

I got a chance to test the Fieldpiece today at work. This time in an ice bath along side the DeltaTrak. The Fieldpiece took about 20 sec. to get to temp while the DeltaTrak was about 5-6 sec.

I tested the Comark Digital Thermometer model PDT300 today.

I did an ice bath test and it came to temp in about 5-6 secs the same time as my DeltaTrak.

It has a shorter probe and display than the DeltaTrak and according to Amazon comments it needs to be manually turned off to limit battery use. But it's another opiton for those looking for a Thermapen alternative although a little slower than a Thermapen.

I bought the 11061 Deltratrak a few weeks ago. It works great and definitely comes up to temp in five seconds. I know a Thermapen is the Cadillac of instant read therms. But this Deltratrak must be the Ford or Chevy pickup truck then. It does the job and costs a WHOLE lot less. Don't get me wrong I still want a thermapen someday but at this price I'll take the Deltratrak.

Back