Extra lid - what to do with it

Ryan Silva

Greetings All,

I recently received a new cooker and some of the enamel was chipped on the lid so Weber promptly replaced it. So now I have an extra lid. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I might do with it. I was thinking of something along the lines of a specialty mod for a certain type of cooking method or food item. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks,

Ryan

Match it up to a used WSM without a lid!!!
icon_smile.gif

Well this is a weird idea I'll admit, but it wouldn't be the first time I opened my mouth despite the possibility of public ridicule.
icon_rolleyes.gif

People lose a lot of body heat through the top of the head. Hats and touques help a great deal in reducing this.

If you could reduce heat loss by 30% maybe you can reduce fuel consumption too. Over time it could mean significant savings.

I wonder how much a hat would help a WSM retain heat?

If I could find no other use for it I would remove the handle and damper and try putting the new one on top of the old one, maybe some sort of high heat insulation between the two. I'd try offsetting the vents maybe two inches to keep wind out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Match it up to a used WSM without a lid!!!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's hilarious!

Take off the handle and damper, flip it over and support the edge with cinderblocks. Get you a charcoal grate and viola! You have a cheap fire pit!

I have an extra bottom section, for the same reason. Anyone have a middle section? It's Halloween - the perfect time to put together a Frankenwsm.
icon_biggrin.gif

If I had an extra lid, I'd try adding additional vents to the top.

It might help for very high and very low temp cooks.

If you've ever considered the possibility of your very own brick-lined backyard pit then the spare lid would make a great cover for that.

Back