Fish Tacos

Matthew Jones

Here a couple got while living in San Diego and fishing down in Mexico (actual source lost)

Cut fish in large bite size chunks, do not wash, pat fillets dry then cut, keep in paper towels.
Dip fish in seasoned flour, (old Bay, cracked black pepper) then dip in egg wash, (2 eggs beaten, a little water to loosen up, and season), then dip in bread crumbs, seasoned of course. I use the same seasonings in each the flour, egg and breadcrumb mixtures.
Immediately put in skillet that has about 2 inches HOT oil. Brown and turn once and brown. Lift out onto paper towels and keep hot in oven.
Warm corn tortillas, place a spoonful of 1000 Island dressing, the fish, then top with pico de gallo (chunky tomato salsa), lime juice, shredded cabbage and crumbled goat cheese.

You can do the same with shrimp. Variations would be crema (mexican sour cream instead of goat cheese) green tomatillo salsa verde instead of the pico de gallo.

Here is a second one that is pretty good.
Cut fish into strips and wash with fresh water and pat dry. Dredge fish in flour seasoned with salt and pepper to give a light coating. Dip floured strips into an egg wash (2 eggs and 1/2-1c of milk). Roll strips in breadcrumbs (1/2 Progresson Italian breadcrumbs (costco) 1/2 Panko flakes) until well coated and then drop in fryer until golden brown.

To heat up and soften corn tortillas, drop in fryer for 10-15 seconds and then drain and pat dry.

Tacos:

Onto heated tortilla add a piece of fish, sprinkle of finely shredded cheddar cheese, drizzle with white sauce, add some shredded green cabbage and a squirt of lime juice and a couple dashes of tapatio.
Eat, rinse and repeat (about 4 or 5 times )

Here is a good "dressing" to go with it.
# 1/2 cup plain yogurt
# 1/2 cup mayonnaise
# 1 lime, juiced
# 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
# 1 teaspoon minced capers
# 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
# 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
# 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
# 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

I love fish tacos, great way to use bottom fish.

Cheers,

Matthew Jones

Here is my go to fish taco recipe. I got it from the ChefTips guy, Jason Hill thats on Youtube.

Fish Tacos

Fish Taco Recipe (Serves four)
• 2 six ounce pieces of white fish (I use mahi mahi)
• 2 cups of my lemon herb marinade.
• 8 corn tortillas.
• 2 cups of shredded cabbage.
• 1 fresh diced tomato
• small bunch of fresh cilantro
• 1 cup of fish taco white sauce

First rinse thawed fish under cool water and pat dry. Next, place fish in a plastic bag and pour the marinade over the fish. Seal bag and mix around with your hands. Marinade in the refrigerator no more than thirty minutes. Next, dice one tomato, and shred up some cabbage. Then go start your grill. If you don't have a grill, or BBQ, then you can either fry or bake your fish. After the fish is done, assemble your fish tacos straight away!

Marinade Recipe:
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, parsley or tarragon
1 lemon
1/8 cup white wine, optional
3/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic puree or 1 clove minced garlic

Roughly chop the cilantro and carefully remove the zest (outer yellow peel from the lemon). The zest adds a lot of flavor to this marinade.

Next, cut the lemon in half and add lemon juice to a mixing bowl. Add the wine, chopped cilantro and lemon zest, followed by the garlic.

Slowly pour the olive oil into the marinade and whisk quickly until it starts to thicken. This is called an emulsion.
When the marinade has thickened, let it sit about 30 minutes and then pour it over your meat.

White sauce:
1/3 cup of mayonnaise
1/3 cup of plain yogurt
1 tsp of fresh lime juice
1/2 to 1 tsp of chipotle hot sauce
Mix the above ingredients together and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Mexican Salsa:
28 ounces canned chopped tomatoes, in juice
3 cloves garlic, peeled
Juice of 1 lime
1 handful cilantro leaves, whole
½ cup pickled jalapenos, or more
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ medium onion
3 fresh serrano peppers, optional

Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender unti just chunky.

Back