I'm an idiot, help with an ET-7

Craig M.

TVWBB Member
I have a post on the New WSM Owner board about checking the accuracy of my new ET-73. I used it over the weekend and had one of the probes in the lid to measure cooker temp. It was about 30-35 degrees hotter than my analog thermometer (2009 WSM) in the lid. Funny thing was that the probe in the meat was dead on with my faithful old meat thermomemter, now I know why!

I've just figured out that I didnt buy a ET-73 but an ET-7! Two meat probes! So would that explain the big difference? A meat probe doesnt work well measuring air temp? Can I order an air temp probe from Maverick?

Help!

I have an ET-7 and it works fine to measure cooker temp.

I suggest calibrating all of the thermometers (incl the Weber one) and seeing if any is off. I have heard people complain about the accuracy of the ones that ship with the WSM.

OK, I'll pull the Weber thermo out, clean it up and check it in some boiling water. That should settle the issue. Is there any difference between a meat probe and air probe?

Thanks

Craig...the meat and air probe should measures temps the same. Do the boiling water test to check them for accuracy.

Thanks all, my lid thermometer is right on with the boil test. I smoked some wings yesterday but didnt use the Maverick. I've tested the maverick also with boiling water and ice water, seems to be right on.

Cant figure out why it would show different temp that lid thermometer. I had it stuck down through the top vent, about halfway, if part of the probe was touching the metal on the lid would that make a difference?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig M.:
Thanks all, my lid thermometer is right on with the boil test. I smoked some wings yesterday but didnt use the Maverick. I've tested the maverick also with boiling water and ice water, seems to be right on.

Cant figure out why it would show different temp that lid thermometer. I had it stuck down through the top vent, about halfway, if part of the probe was touching the metal on the lid would that make a difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig: I have a Maverick ET-7 in which I use mainly one probe to measure the temperature inside my WSM. I hardly use it now to measure the internal temperature of the meat that I am cooking as I approximate when the meat is ready based on the temperature inside my WSM and take the meat´s temperature with an instant read thermometer before I pull it off the WSM.

Richard

WSM(Old Model), OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:

<span class="ev_code_RED">WSM(Old Model)</span> , OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard, that's a "WSM Classic".
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richard garcia:

<span class="ev_code_RED">WSM(Old Model)</span> , OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard, that's a "WSM Classic".
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry: Thanx for pointing this out as I am 66 Years young OR a Classic Owner of a Classic WSM:)

Richard

Back