Bangers and Basa

Ron... L.

TVWBB Super Fan
I got a wild hair this weekend and decided to make a bunch of sausage. A friend wanted to take a stab at English Bangers...a kind of breakfast type sausage and I wanted to try kielbasa so I could use my smoker.

We made both. We did ten pounds of bangers and 22 pounds of kielbasa (3 pork butts, a chuck roast, and about 5 pounds of pork fat).

All of it tasted phenomenal and it is so easy. Note... easy can still be quite time-consuming. Not counting the smoking time, we spent about 6 hours on the project.

Bangers...
IMG_1809.JPG

Top grill of 22.5 WSM (bottom grill was packed much the same)
IMG_1812.JPG

Note: 22 pounds of kielbasa is really a little too much for a single batch.

IMG_1813.JPG

Some of the finished links. The black spot is a chunk of black pepper...
IMG_1815.JPG

And two of the coils. They are 5 pounds each.

IMG_1816.JPG

And now I have a freezer full of basa and bangers. Woohoo!

Ron

Jeff,
I got these recipes off another site (not sure which) and modified them a bit.

The kielbasa tastes very much like commercial as far as flavor, but the texture and the casing "snap" are considerably better. I didn't have much marjaram and used about half what recipe suggests.

The original recipe called for 10 pounds of pork butt, but I have seen many that include beef, so I subbed out some pork and added beef and some extra fat.

Kielbasa

8 pounds of pork butt
2 pounds chuck roast
2 pounds pork fat
5 Tbs kosher salt
1Tbs Sugar
2 tsp granulated Garlic
2 tsp Cure #1
2 Tbs coarse ground Black pepper
1.5 cups ice-cold pork broth made from pork butt bones (can use water)
You can also add 1.5 tsp of marjoram if you like, but it is not needed.

I ground the meat and fat through the smaller disk on the KA grinder. I mixed the spices into the pork stock and blended them in with the paddle.
I stuffed them into hog casings and let sit overnight.
Smoked over hickory with a full water pan at ~ 160-180 for 3 hours.
Raised heat to 225 and smoked to 153 internal (about 2 more hours). I took the links off as they got finished and had room to unwind the coils on the smoker so the sides that had been touching would brown up. This worked quite well.

My only experience with bangers was having them for breakfast on a trip to Ireland earlier this year and I can't really say how close these are to those, but they are quite tasty.

Below is a recipe I got off another site and I followed it almost exactly (including using pork stock). We cut up the meat and then seasoned it and let sit for the 5 hours we went golfing and ground and stuffed when we got home. My casings are a little larger than recommended, but they worked fine. I also added a pound of pork fat to the recipe because I was afraid they would be crumbly. They aren't.

Curiously, they remain pink when cooked to 155 degrees. Thank God for the thermopen because I would have had a hard time serving them today without them being "sausage gray".

English Bangers

10 lbs. fat pork butts
2 tsp. ground white pepper
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. mace
3 ozs. salt (about 6 tbsp.)
6 ozs. bread crumbs

Meat is chilled to 32-34 degrees F. and ground through 1/4” grinding plate.All ingredients are mixed very well with about 2 cups of water. When possible, add cooled pork stock in place of water. Meat is then stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings and whatever sausage not used up is frozen. English bangers are a very tasty sausage served at breakfast time, much the same as American pork sausage.

To me, both these recipes are keepers.

Ron

Ron,
That's some serious sausage making, and it all looks great!

After several years I'm back to making bacon, now I must get back to sausage making too.

Back in the '80's all I had for a guide was the "Home Book of Smoke Cooking" by Sleight & Hull, now the internet opens the door to so many more recipes and techniques.

Thanks for sharing!

Great effort. You're right it is easy BUT time consuming.

Thanks for the recipes. I've made Kielbasa twice. Once really good texture-wise. Once, too crumbly. Yours look great.

Oh moja Jezusa i Maryi!
Ron, Pa?stwa kie?basa przeprowadzenie jest najlepszy!

When does Ron&Company Sausage Co. open??
Exhausting event Ron!
PERFECT!

The kielbasa looks amazing and the bangers aren't bad either. Certainly a great way to start the day. Thanks for the recipe. I may make the bangers as a simple breakfast patty and fry 'em up that way. Yum.

thanks for the recipes. I love bangers but haven't gotten around to making them yet. I'll use yours as a point of reference since you say it worked. It looks about right though, I just can't figure out why the brits insist on adding bread crumbs.
icon_confused.gif

It's because it makes the sausages juicy. Try bread crumbs in italian style meatballs as well. A nice trick.

Ron oh my...

Looks Perfect..i need to lern how to do good sausage.

Thx for sharing.

I have a batch of sausage mixture in the fridge right now will be smoking them tomorrow!

Back