Need recipe for smoking/cooking Cornish Game Hen...(ST)

T,
I rub the insides with a cut lemon. Then I add a dab of butter, a slice of apple, 1/4 of a lemon, and a slice of onion inside.
Rub the hens with evoo, sprinkle salt and pepper, and cook at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Delicious.

Ray

It's been a while, but I like to salt and pepper the cavity, add a half stick of butter, seal the openings with toothpicks and grill... hard to beat.

Is that 450 on the WSM or the kettle grill? If on the wsm, then for how long and how many briquettes to cook and how many to initially light in the chimney? I'm looking for more specifics from you all.

Best,
-T

For me, kettle usually, unless I need the space. On the WSM I Minion every cook, starting with around 25 lit. I use unlit lump under that, if possible. Empty, foiled pan. I crack the door once temps hit the upper 200s in order to increase the draft and achieve high temps.

CGHs are perfectly good cooked lower, ~375, as Ray notes.

I like mojo, boosted with chile or not, or a yogurt or buttermilk-based marinade (often something with Indian spices) for CGHs. If not going the marinade route I usually work a little compound butter under the skin, smear some on the outside, stick a lemon half in the cavity, and cook thus.

Salt/pepper/garlic on the outside. Wild rice stuffing on the inside. I cook the rice in chicken stock. Saute some onion,mushroom,carrot and celery.Drain the rice and mix it with the veggies and stuff the birds.Since the cavity of the hens is smallish I chop the veggies a little finer than normal.

Back