Pickling Jalapenos

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
I have a friend who expects a lot of jalapenos from her plants this season. She'd like to pickle some.

Any suggestions? The only pickles I've made were some green tomatoes a couple of years ago.

This recipe for approximately 2 pounds of peppers works well with jalapeños, serranos, yellow wax, cherry, habanero, or peperoncini chiles. Note: This recipe requires advance preparation and does not have to be processed in a water bath.

Brine:

3 cups water

1 cup pickling salt

Combine the salt and water and cover the chiles with the mixture.

Place a plate on the chiles to keep them submerged in the brine.

Soak the chiles overnight to crisp them. Drain, rinse well, and dry.

Pickling Solution:

3 cups water

3 cups 5 to 6 percent distilled white vinegar

3 teaspoons pickling salt

Poke a couple of small holes in top of each chile and pack them tightly in sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headroom.

In a pan, combine the water, vinegar, and salt. Bring the solution to a boil and pour over the chiles, leaving no head space. Remove trapped air bubbles.

Store for 4 to 6 weeks in a cool, dark place before serving.

Yield: 4 pints

From fiery-foods.com

You can add spices to the pickling solution before boiling, if desired.

Whatever you do Joel, try to avoid processing canned peppers if possible. During my first pickled pepper canning experience I processed them for 15 - 20 minutes per recipe and they are very, very mushy.

Kevin your recipe sounds good, I will have to file it away to try next time.

I can't recall the name of it but have you used that calcium based pickle crisping stuff for pickled peppers? I am considering trying it ...

You mean 'Pickle Crisp'? I haven't used it for peppers or pickles yet. I've heard lots of good things though. As far as I know it's straight food-grade calcium chloride. I keep meaning to get some to have on hand; hasn't happened yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
You mean 'Pickle Crisp'? I haven't used it for peppers or pickles yet. I've heard lots of good things though. As far as I know it's straight food-grade calcium chloride. I keep meaning to get some to have on hand; hasn't happened yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FYI. Just got home from Wal Mart and Ball makes it. The box said "Pickel Crisp" looked at the ingredients and all it said was pickling lime. Was right with all the canning jars and such. $2.15 a box.

Hi Joel
Here is a great recipe for Pickled Jalapenos
3 Cups Cider Vinegar
3 Cups Pineapple juice
1 Tbl. cracked peppercorns
2 tsp. thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
40 jalapenos
25 garlic cloves
1 red onion, peeled & chopped
2 carrots, peeled & shredded
In a large saucepan over high heat, bring vinegar,pineapple juice, peppercorns, thyme, bay leaves and salt to full boil. Add jalapeno, garlic, onion and carrots and bring to boil again. Remove from heat transfer to a large container and seal. I just put them in a big gallon jar in my extra fridge and use as needed. Try them they are great. Marsha

Back