Saturday night chicken breasts

Jay Yurine

TVWBB Member
Fired up the Q gasser for the first time in a while. Frozen chicken breasts from ALDI. I put a pie pan w/ Jack Daniels oak chips over the burner. In retrospect, I should have put them in a foil pouch and poked a small hole.

I screwed up the eggplant. I sprinkled w/ Kosher salt to draw out the bitterness, let it sit for an hour (I got busy doing something else), and rinsed it off. The eggplant was too salty.

The breasts came out very juicy. However, the taste is still inferior to charcoal grilling.

IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_0968.jpg

I'll second the opinion that charcoal grilling is better than gas, but I do love my Weber Q220. The grill marks are great and I like the way that the cast iron grate holds the heat. I'll always get the Q up to the temp I want and let it sit there at that temp for another 5 minutes or so to ensure that the grate is up to temp.

I'll cook on my Performer on the weekends or if I get home at a decent hour during the week. Otherwise, firing up the Q is a great alternative.

Great looking grub. How were the ALDI chicken breasts? We've got an ALDI here and buy things like milk and bread there, but I've not tried any of the meat.

Pat

Pat, the chicken breasts are pretty good and convenient. $5.49 for 3 lbs, individually frozen. The price is good, although it seems that the breasts are pumped up full of 10-15% broth.

Jay
I understand what you are saying about charcoal being better than gas, In a blind tasting test that I did some time ago the charcoal grilled meat was prefered over the gas, however some did select the gas grilled.

I did another blind taste teste on some chicken that had been rubbed with a commercial rub and the results were about 50/50.

Bottom line is it depends on the food you are cooking, the preparation and personal taste.

I use gas for convenience during the week and charcoal of a weekend when I have more time.

Cheers

George, the reason everything is on the left is that there is a pie pan w/ Jack Daniels smoking chips sitting on the burner. Something I tried for the first time. Next time I will put the chips in a foil pouch, with the pouch on the pie pan, rather than the chips unwrapped on the pan. It seemed to add a little more smoke flavor, closer to my charcoal grill.

oh, kinda seems to big for whats needed. maybe a smaller pan or something in cast iron so you don't loose to much grill space.

Back