Swordfish Tacos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan D

TVWBB Super Fan
Lowly kettle folks, although we have much to learn from the those with master WSM 'que-fu, the kettle can still produce great food that puts a smile on people's faces.
icon_smile.gif
Hopefully I will pick up on some o the master's 'que-fu so I can do high temp cooks with meats that have traditionally turned out like shoe leather for me. When I'm short on time though, I think about fish...

Fish is one of my favorites to cook in the kettle, it's quick, simple and the results are easy to achieve.

During the summer fish tacos are a fairly easy, have a low preparation time, and the guests leave with a smile. I guess that means they like it.
icon_wink.gif

As with all 'quein the ingredients are key, IMO, and swordfish is a premium fish, considered amongst many as the "chicken breast" of fish meat. Swordfish are large and as such produce meat that is pretty much boneless...although they do have bones, the meat is often filleted. In SoCal down in the Santa Barbara Channel, the swordfish bask in the sun out on the backside of Santa Rosa Island, and when in season you can get fresh swordfish for about $5-$6/lb. This is a far cry from the $20/lb I pay in NorCal for fresh...But we get the SoCal folks with fresh salmon.
icon_smile.gif

This is one of my favorite cuts of fish to 'que up, it typically doesn't fall apart unless you're really careless...and even so it will usually stay together.

A definite premium cut from my view, and the makings of great results. Not sure if this linky will work...I'm not very used to posting here yet.

This is also how my wife gets me to eat veggies...
icon_rolleyes.gif

(linky pic to gallery)

Mark,

It seems that appreciating the local supply of swordfish in SoCal typically comes after one moves away...
icon_frown.gif
Can't say I didn't enjoy my share while I was down there, and still partake in enough in NorCal, even though the cost is so high.

If you ever get to Santa Barbara, there's a fish place in the harbor called "Brofy Bros", it is worth trying the swordfish (sans cooking it yourself of course
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Also open late at night, so if you sail into the harbor in the evening, a nice bowl of chowder will warm 'ya up!
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back