Slide Aside Lid Holder

Mark Trip

They are back, but for how long! weber part #8411. They are not listed anywhere on the website. Looked all over even called weber and a cranky lady said they do not have such a thing and if you drill the kettle to put the tuck away on your warranty would be void! talked to tom and they do have about 100 in stock!

I just found one of those in a small hardware store near where I just vacationed. It didn't have a price on it and the guy said it wasn't in his catalog so he said I could have it for $10. I bought it and used it my whole vacation since I brought one of my red 22.5" kettles with me. It had been sitting in his store for 4 years according to the ship date on the outside of the box.

Wayne

I have a performer and a OTG with the slide-aside lid holder. One day I was cooking two chickens on each and it took me awhile to figure out why the OTG was running hotter than the performer. The slide-aside prevented a tight seal allowing more airflow and a hotter fire.... something to keep in mind.

HerbS

i've no problem with my slide a side as i just adjust the lower vents to where i want the temp. i don't see that the gap is much at all. is there a reason you cant adjust yers or is there something wrong with the clips?

George,

The first time I cooked chickens at the same time on both my performer and OTG with everything being equal the OTG was running hotter. I removed the slide-aslide hangers and the temp dropped down to near what the performer was running.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my hanger clips it just doesn't seal as well with it hung on the edge of the bowl.

It's not a problem, just an observation and warning. Like you said it can be adjusted with the lower vents.

Did they re-release them or something? I just saw one on Amazon and grabbed it up. Unfortunately it cost me $35 with shipping but I've been looking for one for so long that I had to pull the trigger. It was too much of a pain to figure out what to do with the lid on my 18.5 silver. I've paid more in accessories than I have for the grill! I got it for $20 on craigslist and put in CI grates.

I have one and it works great for grilling. Doesn't work good for low temps because it creates a slight air gap under the lid.

Weber has 16116 on their site for $20 and Amazon has 8411 listed as a replacement for the same #, for $27. Anybody got a clue as to a difference between the two?

Not sure of any difference but this is what I got:

Qty Part # Product Name Unit Price Tax Net Price
1 3016116 LID HOLDER SS 18/22 SINGLE $20.00 $0.00 $20.00

Subtotal: $20.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $7.00
------------------
Total: $27.00

herb, maybe something else is going on. i have smoked many a meat in my kettle with the sa attached with no problem controling the temp. i don't have a performer to compare it with. i've just not had any issues.

not sure how you grill or smoke. but i control the heat with the lower vents with the top vent fully open. when there is smoke, there is very little coming out of the "gap" so i'm just not seeing the problem. don't really matter as the sa comes off very easily if you feel its a problem.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I went ahead and ordered two of them. A guy on another forum talked me into the removable work table off Amazon... and then I ended up getting a new cover that fits both. Now normally, I'm a penny pincher, but I guess it's the decongestants and cough syrup I've been on the last few days. No telling what I've posted, either.

I always remove them when I shut the grill down, otherwise my coals will be ash the next day. I love the slide aside though.

Back