Styles of Q

Randy C.

TVWBB Member
Hi Ray... love the book! Anyways, being a fellow Chicagoan, I'm interested in what regional style of BBQ you like the most and try to emulate in your cooking. Do you find yourself blending certain aspects of these styles in your cooking? Thanks!

Randy C.

Hi Randy, I'm a White Sox fan, so I don't usually help Cub fans, but I'll make an exception for Chris.

I don't see these alleged strict regional styles of BBQ. I see a tradition of using what you had growing in the woods by your house, and cooking what the farmer down the raod was growing. The cooking methods are very similar. The sauces are different, but it's just not as clearly defined as some want to make it. I see sticky red BBQ sauce in texas, and nasty vinegar pepper sauce in Alabama. I see mustard sauce all over the place now, and KC Masterpiece sells well everywhere.

All that said, my biggest influence came from Kansas City. I was hungry to learn and attend cookoffs, and there was only one in the Chicago area, so I regularly drove the 500 miles to KC to judge, cook and eat BBQ.

Even in KC, the BBQ is ver different. Try the sauce at Rosedale and Arthur Bryants and see if it's what you percieve as KC BBQ. I think you'll be surprised.

Back