Thermapen

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Whoops - looks like somebody accidently bought a Thermapen and it arrived today - woo hooooooo! Can't wait to use it.

Laura

I was boring and went with the blue one - on a budget. But the flames one is cool, shoulda got it. Do you have a flames one?

Laura

I recently got one of these, and yes they seem to be a superb piece of equipment. My only gripe would be that for 90 bucks they should also offer left handed models. To read it correctly (not upside down) the unit needs to held in the right hand -

That's a good point.

Also, I am an avid directions reader (unlike the rest of my life where I just make it up on the fly as I go) and it mentions to use anti-bacterial wipes to keep the Thermapen clean for when you put it in undercooked food and then want check later to see if it is done. I have not been able to find any so far. Today I bought "disinfectant wipes" that seems more for counters, etc., and it says "for surfaces that may come in contact with food, a potable water rinse is required." I was going to bring a little bowl of water and wipe the tip of the Thermapen with the wipe and then rinse it in the bowl.

I also do have a sink nearby and could do a quick rinse there. Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm gonna grill steaks, asparagus, corn on the cob and garlic bread tonight! Yeeeeehhaaaaww!!!

Laura

I have both older red and yellow ones that I've dragged half way around the world with me. My first choice of kitchen equipment.

However, my disinfectant wipe looks a whole lot like a kitchen towel. Thank goodness food safety inspectors aren't peering over my shoulder.

We do keep a bleach & water solution on hand if we need to disinfect anything seriously which is most everything we use but when we wash it.

The wipes would be handy, but alcohol is around the house so it will probably become our "go to" solution.

Hi Laura, try your local CVS, Rite Aid Pharmacy, Etc. for alcohol swabs. they come in boxes of 50 or so and are individually wrapped. Commonly used by people to wipe the skin prior to an injection or a finger stick (diabetics).

Back