$100 bacon

Dan Cassaro

OK,maybe a bit less, but not much...
icon_smile.gif

I ordered a Berkshire pork belly from Paradise Meats in Missouri, and it was about $75, with most of that being shipping to Florida.
I used Ruhlman's dry rub recipe, overhauling it every day in the fridge for a week. This morning, I smoked all 11 lbs of it for about three hours at 200 degrees, using lots of cherry chunks, to an internal temp of 150F.
As soon as it came out of the smoker, we fried some up and, as my kids, say.... !!!OMG!!!
This was by far the best bacon I have ever tasted. My wife, who is on the Atkins diet, said "So, this is what bacon is supposed to taste like!" The kids came in and polished off the remaining slices in a flash.
The rendered fat was a beautiful gold, with just a hint of red from the cherry smoke. I can't wait to cook with it, so I guess we are having sauteed chicken for dinner!
icon_smile.gif

Dan
bacon.jpg

I'm still looking for a local source for Berkshire hogs, but given the amount of bacon I have on hand, it may be a while before I need another belly!
And, Bob, no filters were used, but I did apply the "Bacon" macro in Photoshop.
icon_smile.gif

Dan
PS Tonight's chicken was just wonderful. That bacon fat adds a lot of flavor!

Lovely !

BTW, I see you sliced it with a "slicing" knife as opposed to a elec slicer.

I've been waffling back and forth on either getting an elec slicer or a slicing knife.

Seeing what a nice job your's did, I'm swinging back towards a knife.

I've got an 10" henckel chef knife but it's not easy slicing a consistent slice (such as yours).

Good work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, I see you sliced it with a "slicing" knife as opposed to a elec slicer.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works very well, but it does take a bit of practice. I got mine from Amazon, where it is highly recommended. $37.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorin...id=1327848034&sr=8-1

Beautiful bacon Dan!
Once you've made your own, it's hard to go back to store bought.
So you better start looking for another belly brother
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Cassaro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, I see you sliced it with a "slicing" knife as opposed to a elec slicer.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works very well, but it does take a bit of practice. I got mine from Amazon, where it is highly recommended. $37.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorin...id=1327848034&sr=8-1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the one I'm looking at but trying to find it at a similar (close) price up here is very difficult. Amaz . com does not ship up here and Amaz . CAnada is a rip off in general (plus they don't carry the victorinox one here).

man, that looks awesome, very nicely done.

What did you think of the Berkshire compared to regular belly? I've used Berkshire a few times and never notice a ton of difference. The place I buy it at, has it a buck more a pound then the regular belly, so I splurge once and a while.

The Berkshire belly was about twice as thick as the belly I can find locally. But based on the pictures I have seen on the web, I was expecting it to be even thicker and leaner. Of course, we have to be realistic: the butchers send their best cuts to their best customers, not to some one-off order from 700 miles away.
That's another reason to try to find a local supplier.
As to taste, yes, I can tell a difference between this and the last batch I made, using a commercial pork belly. The Berkshire had a much richer, "meatier" flavor, and less of a 'fried fat" taste. I've also found that I prefer it a little chewier (less cooked) than commercial bacon, as the flavor really comes through that way.
Dan

I've been curious about Berkshire belly, and can get some from a local butcher. Generally, I go to China town and get them there and they come out fine, but I'm curious to try alternatives. Glad to hear you found a big diff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Berkshire belly was about twice as thick as the belly I can find locally. But based on the pictures I have seen on the web, I was expecting it to be even thicker and leaner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The berk I've been getting is pretty variable in thickness. In fact, one side was disappointing thin (thinner than regular belly).

I would assume berk belly would be less lean. IMO, thickness is related to fat, and the lean is constant.

I have purchased GOS and Tamworth belly from a local farmer that was superior to anything I've purchased at a butcher shop (heritage or otherwise). What impresses me is the flavor and texture of the fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
I've been curious about Berkshire belly, and can get some from a local butcher. Generally, I go to China town and get them there and they come out fine, but I'm curious to try alternatives. Glad to hear you found a big diff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, now what local butcher would you be talking about????

That $100 bacon is beautiful nice job Dan!

Back