Prime Rib

Steve P

Im going to cook about 10 lbs of bone in prime rib for Saturday. Its true "prime" rib not the grocery store meat. I searched the forms and was going to do it low and slow until about 125. No marinade, just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I was planning on no smoke, just whatever light flavor I get from the Royal Oak. I was reading alot of guys were searing theirs at the end with a hot over or grill. I think Im going to try to pull off the meat then remove the water bowl. Stoke up the fire with some fresh lump, vents wide open. Once the fire is blazing I was going to put the meat back on direct heat (no bowl) just to sear it. Has anyone done it this way, any reason I shouldn't? Except for the risk of burning myself trying to get the hot water bowl out.

Just remove the middle section entirely, get the coals glowing hot and the put the cooking grate over the coals.

Great idea. I think I will leave the water bowl empty and foiled. That will allow me to reconstitute the drippings into beef broth with a little red cooking wine

I'm, not a fan of collecting drippings in the (foiled) water bowl. I much prefer to place a pan under the meat further insulated from the what I consider the heat diffuser. No chance of scorching and burnt drippings.

Steve,

You could also just move the prime rib to a 500*F oven to finish with a sear. Would be very easy and no fuss. Not as manly doing it in the oven as on the cooker, though.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Back