Basket for the grill-Purchase & Review

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Looking to do some stir-fry type grilling and wondered which basket to get.

Both are stainless steel and I'm concerned that too much food will stick to it. However, there is one (not shown) that is non-stick. I hate non-stick because the coating usually wears off in short order.

I think it should have holes in it (not solid like the weber).

Which basket? $50 has a removeable handle.
$50
64265981.jpg

$20
0851434_1

$15
19340118670755P.JPG

Another version? (avail in Canada)

Personally Lem, I like the first pic. More like a skillet. Then again, the handle can be in the way when you put the lid on the grill.

That makes the middle pic a good choice. No handle to get in the way, but may take two hands to operate.

Last one just looks... I can't think of the word I want. Awkward maybe?

#1 does have a removeable handle. A problem is that it is only 8" diameter. Good for maybe two people.

Then I found this one also with a removeable handle
$40
ev275s7.jpg

I would have thought the 100% flat bottom (not rounded) would be better as it has more contact with the grill.? OTOH, the round one would allow easier "flipping" of the meat and veggies.

edit-->Then I found this one which I like better (at 11 inches) (now that I've had a chance to properly research it)
$11
1666171_L.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Grandoit:
#11 looks like a sweet basket for my mini wsm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's the only one I found in that shape. Sold at Rona Building Supplies (which is only in Canada).

I've got one that looks just like the 20-bucker in your pictures.

Mine is fairly heavy, porcelain-enameled steel.

I think that it works pretty well. Veggies get a nice char, and the sloped sides make it easy to get under stuff / flip the veggies / and dig stuff out with a spatula.

Without handle or removable handle also good because it fits nicely into the dishwasher.

Picked up this basket and had a Sweet & Sour Pork Veggie Stir-Fry with white-and-black sticky rice. Used a little bit of EVOO on the raw stuff prior to grilling to prevent sticking and a wooden spoon to stir (prevent scratching). The coating on the basket is similar to the WSM (just not as thick). Works well and I'd recommend it.

This basket holds enough for 4 servings (the amount in the pics is for 3).
1-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

After trying several grill baskets, I went with a Lodge Pro-Logic 14" cast iron wok ($80). Sure it costs more, but I don't have to worry about replacing it every few years. I keep it well-seasoned, so I don't have to worry about food sticking. Also, unlike the perforated models, it can also be used on a stove top. If your budget can handle it, that's the direction I would recommend going.

$100 up here (Wallyworld US has it for $50
icon_mad.gif
)

so it's not an option. I see it weighs ~ 13lb.

I already have the usual rolled steel wok I use indoors which works great so cast iron was not really an option.

Nice to know though.

I don't have one yet and would like to see some actual reviews here of baskets that work well. I like the rounded or beveled edged ones -- flat is just harder to clean and you can't flip well with them. And none of those "non-stick" finishes either -- junk.

I will never again buy any basket like this for my grill/smoker that has a non-removable handle. I don't cook much with the cover off and a handle sticking out pretty much screws that.

Having said that, I notice that the first basket w/ handle by the OP looks like one of those that can be removed by unlocking (the slide on top of the handle).

Rich

I have a steel wok that is solid. It works great and I can build my sauce in it as e veggies and meats are finishing.

Mike

Back