Deer backstraps and tenderloins! Never smoked before, HELP! WSM 18"

Tom G

Well guys, I need help.

It's my baby boys 2nd birthday coming up and I have a whack of family coming over to celebrate. A good friend of mine has been using the WSM for years and never stops talking about how amazing it is, so on a whim I bought one!

So... I have a 18" WSM... a bag of Kingsford... the tool to light the charcoal with only paper no lighter fluid... and a couple bags of I think applewood? Went out hunting last weekend and got a really nice buck and the shot was perfect so zero loss I have the complete intact tenderloin and backstraps... I think I'm all set, except I don't know what I'm doing nor have I even opened the WSM box!!!

Does anyone have a recipe they've tried and know works well? I've found a number of recipe's on the net but all use the oven... just seems like I should be using this time to give the WSM a go! I see lots of WSM for beef backstraps but I'm not sure if they'd work just as well for deer?

If anyone has some information they'd be willing to share, better yet a step by step guide for dummies (ie put in this much Kingsford... open vent this much... do this do that) sortof thing would be amazing! I only have a couple days before the party so I'm going to start reading heavily to try and figure the WSM out

Hey Tom,

Welcome!

I'm not a hunter and haven't done a lot of venison so I can't really help out with recipes. It's pretty lean, right?...so it's not going to do too well low and slow. But don't sweat it. The WSM is basically an oven so any of those recipes you found on the net can be adapted for the WSM...and you can add another level of flavor, smoke.

As for setup. This and this should tell you all you need to know.

Good luck!!

Im with Don on this one. But if you wanna have the same texture/rareness thru the whole loin i would Recomend cooking it low´n´slow. 225-250f

But it will be great @ 350 aswell. Just know the exact pulling temp(inner temp) of the meat you gonna cook. If pulled at the right time the texture is all that you will change with the cooking temp.

And dont add to mutch wood.

I always cut the backstraps into 1 1/2" chops, then butterfly them. Season with salt and pepper, place on very hot grill. Grill about 2 minutes per side, rest then consume. Some of the best red meat you'll ever enjoy.

The backstraps from my deer this year never even made to the freezer. My boys and I consumed them in only two meals!

--eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
It's pretty lean, right?...so it's not going to do too well low and slow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lean is an understatement! I doubt you could find much of any fat anywhere throughout that piece of meat. Most the recipe's I've found that make me drool all involve wrapping the strap with bacon... one that sounded particularly good used the whole backstrap and an overnight marinade then just keep wrapping it with bacon until it looks like a arm with dozens of watches (watches being the bacon)then cook at whatever temp for like 45min and done.

Maybe I'll try your way Eric, I got a couple chunks to try out plus still have tags for a couple more deer if need be
icon_smile.gif

Thankfully my in-laws are cattle farmers, so even if the deer isn't destined for the WSM a few choice pieces of beef will for sure be next!

In my opinion lean tenderloin is best cooked on a grill or in a pan to get a good sear. They do not take long at all to cook as they are rather small and you do not want to overcook them. Kinda like cooking a pork tenderloin but quicker as you do not want to cook them past medium rare unless you really prefer your meat cooked more thoroughly.

If cooking on a grill a few wood chips on the coals give you a hint of smokiness.

Back