Piri Piri

Jack Straw

TVWBB Fan
I got this recipe from Emeril's last week and made up a batch, very good side sauce! Going to try some tonight with chicken.

Ingredients needed:

1 1/2 cups olive oil
4 fresh jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped, stems, seeds
2 fresh poblano peppers, coarsely chopped, stems, seeds
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
8 turns freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic

Combine all of the ingredients except the garlic in a saucepan over high hear. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, remove from the heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.

When the mixture is cool, pour it into the bowl of a food processor and pulse 16 times. Pour the sauce through a funnel into a clean wine or other bottle and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Allow to sit for 7 days before using. Keeps up to 2 months at room temperature.

Jack--

Looks good to me.
You would probably also like piri-piri made with the real stuff, too. (Frango piri-piri on my menu for tomorrow night!)

Piri-piri

3 to 6 piri-piri chilies
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
pinch salt
several turns of the peppermill
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1. Coarsely chop the peppers and discard stems.

2. Place all the ingredients (including the seeds) in a food processor fitted with a metal blade and purée. Pour into a small glass jar and let steep for at least 24 hours at room temperature.

3. Strain and return to jar.

For Frango piri-piri: Marinate a whole or cut-up chicken in the piri-piri for several hours or, preferably, overnight. Grill till done. Serve with more piri-piri sauce on the side.

Piri-piri peppers are avilable here if you don't have a local source.

Back