Weber 220 Tall Enough for Beer Can Chicken

Rob Figueroa

Hi All,
So I've had my Weber Q for a little over a year now, and its the best!! Perfect size grill for a single guy, but versatile enough for entertaining and serious tailgating. I've done all sorts of stuff from steaks, chops, fish and fowl, to veggies and several different types of roasts. Very happy, but the one thing I can't do is roast a standing chicken on a beer can. I've been dying to try this but just don't got the headroom in the regular Q. Which brings me to my question - Is the Q220 tall enough for this? I've been debating getting either a new Q or maybe just ordering a new cover(saw that they are available on one of the posts in this forum). Any info on this would be great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">April 09, 2007 08:15 PM
Hi All,
So I've had my Weber Q for a little over a year now, and its the best!! Perfect size grill for a single guy, but versatile enough for entertaining and serious tailgating. I've done all sorts of stuff from steaks, chops, fish and </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly me... I've had my grill for going on two years now, if the date I joined this forum is any indication. Time flies when you're having fun grillin' :)

Rob,

From what I've seen of the 220 in person, I don't think you'd have enough head (chicken?) room to do beer can chicken.

Rob
I don't do Beer can Chicken in the Q. I brine mine and they turn out fantastic.

Here is the recipe that I developed for the Q.

Gourmet BBQ Brined Chicken

This is without a doubt one of the best chicken recipes you will ever try. You can also adapt it for the Xmas Turkey simply double the quantity and brine the turkey for 8 hours instead of 5. The length of brining will determine the saltiness of the bird, if you are going to smoke cook it, you could brine it for longer. My experience is 5 hours is perfect for chicken and 8 hours for a turkey.

1 #14 Chicken (1.4 kg)
Brine
½ cup salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground garlic flakes
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 ½ litres water
Optional - 1 teaspoon of Chinese five spice or other spices for distinctive taste
Mix brine ingredients together in a glass bowl Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and pour in brine solution. Seal and place in the fridge for 5 hours. Remove, pat dry and stand upright over a dish or tray in the fridge for an hour or two or overnight to let the skin dry.
Preheat the Q on high for 10 minutes. Rub the chicken skin with a little oil and Roast the chicken indirectly on a roasting trivet for about 1 ½ hours until the internal meat temperature is 830 C. (It is always a good idea to cook 2 as 1 will not last everyone wants seconds)
Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”

Back