Wisconsin > Milwaukee: Smoke Shack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
come along! the drive's long butt the show's gotta be great... and I'm buyin'! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you just read my mind?
icon_wink.gif
Killer menu.

Looking forward to the taste report...And pls be the bigger guy and take some pics of the place food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And pls be the bigger guy and take some pics </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Danny, as much as i DO NOT want to do that... I will.
For you.
icon_razz.gif

One week and One day away!

Thursday, 08March2012
arrived just a little after five pm...
DSCN8639.JPG

bellied up to the bar with menus in front of us.
DSCN8640.JPG

ordered cocktails then a quick stop to the pottyroom
icon_razz.gif

DSCN8641.JPG

DSCN8642.JPG

back to the table/bar. for starters, we ordered Kansas City Eggrolls...
(Pulled pork with Monterey jack wrapped in a fried wonton and cabbage + mustard with their Kansas City BBQ sauce drizzled over everything)
DSCN8643.JPG

Now, please EXCUSE my next few photos (the one above is the best of all of them)
Then we ordered the four meat combo (Smoked housemade sausage, pulled pork, pulled chicken and brisket) and the rib combo...
(baby backs, spares and beef short ribs) Also ordered was baked sweet potato and their decadent Mac & 4 cheese (not pictured)
DSCN8646.JPG

cornbread with maple syrup butter...
DSCN8647.JPG

The brisket was excellent! The mac & cheese was perfect!! The beef short ribs were outstanding!!!
I only had a small taste of the sausage, butt it had great flavour, I'm certain the rest of it will be the same tomorrow.
Yes, we brought home a large doggie "box"...
DSCN8650.JPG

Now... the pork ribs.
I was really hopin' their pork ribs, both the spares and the baby backs, would blow me away. They did not.
Both were not very meaty... both were only dry rubbed (four different sauces are available on the side).
Great colour, but the flavour of the meat was lacking, in my opinion. Kinda dry, i think the sauce saved them.
I am not one to blow my horn (brag and talk up lampe) butt the ribs that come off my WSM are by far tastier than the ribs I ate tonight.
The Smoke Shack's ribs disappointed me
icon_frown.gif

The service was quick and polite, the place only seats 47 folks and twenty minutes after we arrived, the place was chock-full.
I'd go back. Certainly!
Butt i'm cookin' ribs this weekend.
icon_biggrin.gif

We attended the Lyle Lovett / John Hiatt show at The Pabst Theater afterwards, and it was FANTASTIC!
If you have the chance to see these guys in your town, by all means, GO!!
Thanks for visiting!

Too bad their ribs look that good, and were disappointing, but glad that everything else was good. It certainly looks good in your pics.

Those guys in concert are awesome! I've seen them both in concert, but not together. Now if they only had Delbert McClinton with 'em, that would be a trifecta of awesome music!
icon_cool.gif

I had my worries that some of the food wouldn't be up to the high standards turned out by you, on a Weber.
But it seems that most everything, other than the ribs, was worthy.

You would make a fine food critic for MJS, at least when it comes to barbecue and beer
icon_smile.gif

Sounds like a great evening!

Thank you so mutch for the pics Jim! I think everything looks super tasty. But i take your word for it.(rib wise)

I really like the design/thought behind that smoke shack. I wish there were pics in every restaurant post in here. Would make the posts so more interesting.

Thanks again Jim!

Dan, you would love the KC Eggrolls! in fact, they were sooooo good, next time i go, i'll order two plates of those alone!
DSCN8643.JPG

I bet i would! Looks Awesome! Ill Bring a bag when i come over to your place for ribs! Witch of the sauces they had did you prefer?

I tried 3 of the four they offer.
Their HOUSE SAUCE i thought was very good...
and their KANSAS CITY also tasted pretty daggum good...
butt i liked their TEXAS the best.

i did not try (and i don't know why) their CAROLINA GOLD... wish i did.

the 3 i did try were thin sauces, not thick or heavy... good flavour on the 3 i tasted. Wish they sold it, i'd buy a jar of each.
and T-shirts (anther obsession)... wish they sold those too. perhaps in the future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd go back. Certainly!
Butt i'm cookin' ribs this weekend.
We attended the Lyle Lovett / John Hiatt show at The Pabst Theater afterwards, and it was FANTASTIC!
If you have the chance to see these guys in your town, by all means, GO!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can't beat that. I have not doubt that you can outcook/outsmoke anything they have on the menu. The best you can hope for is pretty good food and a fun time out.
Thanks for the pictures and write-up Jim.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You would make a fine food critic for MJS, at least when it comes to barbecue and beer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I repeat what I said before.
icon_smile.gif

Back