short on time Sunday, need advice for butt/ribs

joe_c

Had the WSM for a month now and haven't had a decent amount of time on the weekends to start.
superbowl sunday is my first chance.

i am running out to the wholesale club tonight for the butt and baby backs.

i have time saturday morn to prep the meats but we are going out of town and wont be back til early sunday morning.

at this point, unless i can find a really small but (5 lbs or under after being trimmed) i'll have to do the quick cook in foil in order to eat by game time.

my question then, since the quick cook has you crank up the temps after foiling, what should i do about the ribs? should i just toss all of them on at the same time and not even think about it? will the higher temps at the end ruin the ribs? or do i just pull them off early and foil in a cooler until dinner time?

i don't mind popping them on a grill 20 minutes before eating to carmelize some bbq sauce and heat them up.

also will be a high of 30 according to NOAA.gov
in CT. if that matters...

thank you in advance, this site is amazing.

Hey Joe..just saw this post..sorry this reply is way after the superbowl
icon_frown.gif
....just wanted to let you know that the time situation you outlined is easily overcome
icon_wink.gif
Put the butts on Sunday morning....with the goal being 165* internal then double foil w/apple juice and finish to 195* in a 350* oven ...another time saver = cut the butts in two
icon_cool.gif
I'd put the ribs on at noon and plan on eating around 5:00 or so
icon_razz.gif
Anytime you get jammed up on time you can smoke in the WSM for a couple of hours and then catch up by foiling with 1/4 cup juice or wine, etc. and finishing in a 350* oven...hope this helps
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks Ron!
I actually should have deleted this post entirely. Was so jammed up with a sick puppy on my free time saturday and we bailed on the smoking for sunday.

have a 3 day weekend so i'm going to do a full on Mr Brown. skipping ribs for the first smoke since there will be less need for all that food.

Thank you for the advice, i took notes for the future.

Back