Thanks for some great grub and good times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan E

I started lurking here after reading a couple of books (Steven Raichlen and others) about getting beyond the basic burger, dogs and steak sort of grilling I'd been doing for a long, long time.

I'm still a far cry from being anything approaching an expert, and my gear list is pretty modest, but man oh man has it been tasty and fun getting to where I'm at! Stuffed pork chops and grilled veggies tonite, beef ribs on Independence day, smoked salmon, tandori chicken, etc. It's all been good, even the miscues like the underdone Turkey fiasco.
icon_redface.gif

It occured to me that I've been soaking up the knowledge and tips on deals without so much as a thank you, so I'm posting to fix that...Thanks!

If you are a lurker and thinking that there might be something more to that Weber kettle parked on the patio than pre-formed frozen patties and burned tubesteak, there is...just read the forum here, get a few books and pretty soon it all clicks and some pretty darn good things start happening.

Dan, even for us guys who thought we knew what the hell were doing around a grill this is an awesome site. I've learned several new "tricks" and hopefully shared a few too. I think the best tip I've picked-up since I've been here was the reverse sear on a tri-tip . . . I would have never guessed it would work as well as it does, I'll never go back.

Have you tried a tri-tip yet?

My name may not be Dan, but I love tri-tip.

My only problem is that I am now in the (evidently) tri-tip free zone of the southeast. NW Florida, to be exact.

I am REALLY hoping that someone here can tell me that it isn't so...please tell me that I just don't know where to look around here. Help???

Kevin, sadly the closest Trader Joe's is in Atlanta:

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

They are expanding every few months, so hopefully they will soon have a market open in your area. It might not hurt to inquire and put your vote in...they take note of those things.

With gas prices the way they are, you need someone in Atlanta or northward who is coming to Florida to pick some up for you. Sorry that we don't have a trip planned in that direction at the moment.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Rita,
No problem, but thanks for the offer!

We HAVE been planning a trip to the big aquarium up there for the kiddos before summer is out...I may have to bring a cooler!

Thanks for the info!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Baugher:
My name may not be Dan, but I love tri-tip.

My only problem is that I am now in the (evidently) tri-tip free zone of the southeast. NW Florida, to be exact.

I am REALLY hoping that someone here can tell me that it isn't so...please tell me that I just don't know where to look around here. Help??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ask at your local Publix....they will be happy to cut you a whole one.

Kevin, the World of Coca Cola is not far from the Aquarium, and depending on the age of your young'uns, CNN has a good tour too. The Aquarium also has a back-of-the exhibit tour occasionally that shows how things 'work' there. Have a fun trip.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

If you are a lurker and thinking that there might be something more to that Weber kettle parked on the patio than pre-formed frozen patties and burned tubesteak, there is...just read the forum here, get a few books and pretty soon it all clicks and some pretty darn good things start happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Burnt tubesteak? What the hell are you doing with your grill????
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
What the hell are you doing with your grill????
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn that was funny.

Dan, I think you're enjoying your new found hobby a little too much.

Erik

I've been stuffing my tubesteak with jalepeno peppers and cheese before burning it, recently....
icon_redface.gif

The great American Hot Dog is more versatile than it seems!
icon_razz.gif

Nothing like good ol', heart-felt, sincere, honest and genuine drunken' posting, "eh"? LOL

LOL

Seriously... I feel the same as Dan E. Had an OTS for a few years... been learning and enjoying and then discovered this site. Great stuff!

H Jr.

PS - "I love you guys man"....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back