Smoked Fish Spread

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
After searching and not finding any recipes I like for a fish spread, I decided to try to make up one. I didn't write down any amounts, so adjust my guesstimates to suit your tastes.

1-2 pounds smoked fish, flaked
1/2 cup mayo
1 8oz. tub Philly Whipped cream cheese w/chives
3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
Juice of 1 lime
Garlic salt and pepper
Tsp cayenne pepper
Several dashes of Tabasco
Several dashes of Worstershire sauce
Paprika for garnish

Mix it all up in a bowl and chill. You can also blend in some shredded cheese or almond slivers for a different twist. I like the finished product to have the consistency of thick tuna salad. I like to eat it on a cracker, such as Wheat Thins.

Please offer variations to this as you see fit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hey Rob,

I think you just answered my question about what I was going to do with the salmon I over-cooked this weekend. Thanks, sounds great.

Cool, post how it turns out for you and any mods you did or would suggest. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Well, I totally lost control of the smoked fish spread project. I showed it to my wife and she decided that she would make her version of it. You would think that since I screwed-up the salmon that I would have earned the right to screw-up the spread!

Anyway, this is what she did. She followed most of your recipe with the following exceptions:

1. Cutback on relish to a couple of tablespoons.
2. Eliminated cayenne and added more Tabasco (I have no idea why, we have both)
3. Added capers (good idea)
4. Added dill weed
5. And....the proof that I lost control..she pureed the whole thing into a paste.

Now, I was a little taken back, but you know the stuff was mighty tasty, and spreads very well. Actually I really didn't like it too much. I could only eat about twenty pieces of french bread spread with it before she took it away from me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds good Don! I made a pretty big batch, so that may account for some of the relish difference. I like the idea of dill, too. I'm not sure about the capers for my personal taste. Do you leave them whole?

I also forgot to mention that the empty cream cheese tub makes a nice sized container to store some in. I used it to give a batch to my neighbor.

Capers were pureed along with everything else. I guess they are like anchovies, you either like'em or you don't /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We used to get a smoked-salmon/cream cheese spread all the time that I just loved, but haven't seen it for the last 10 years or so.

I may have to get a chunk of salmon or lake trout to smoke just to try this stuff out. You guys are making me hungry.

All of these variations sound excellent. Bluefish is very good smoked and makes a good spread as well. Just a comment on the use of cayenne pepper here. Probably the reason your wife left out the cayenne and increased the Tabasco is that she knows that cayenne only gets hot when it itself is heated. Add it to a cold preparation only adds its nutritional value, vitamin C, and not its "heat".

Well Dadburn Bill!

I sure didn't know that! How's an accountant know about that stuff? You ain't been cookin' the books have you? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the info.

(How come its hot when I take a taste of it?)

I got this recipe from one of the fishing wizards who hangs out at the marina and used to bring this to all our dock parties.

This is simple and lets the fish stand out without too many other flavors. The taste depends on how good your smoked salmon is, of course.

1 to 1-1/2 lb smoked salmon
1 lb cream cheese
1 cup mayo
1/2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dill weed
3 dashes black pepper

Shred salmon in a food processor, soften cream cheese, mix in the rest of ingredients.

Tom,

I've cross-posted your recipe as a separate topic in this forum.

My goal is for each unique recipe to have its own post in a forum, not to have several recipes ganged up in a single thread. That way it's easier to people to see the range of recipes that are available.

Thanks for sharing the recipe,
Chris

Back