A couple of questions

Bill Hamilton

TVWBB Member
Hi im new here so just a couple of turkey questiins. How hot are you smoking these birds i ask because of the 40 to 140 in 4hr. rule. also if your doin a slow cook 225-250 do you add cure to your brine to avoid spoilage?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">325 - 350 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

- This!

What difference does it make between low and slow and higher temps? Higher temps will make the bird have a crispy skin and perhaps keep the bird from drying but wouldnt it be more tender if cooked low and slow? Any health hazzards (bacteria elimination) in cooking low and slow?

Turkey cooks up tender regardless of low & slow or hot & fast. The skin will be somewhat better when cooked hot & fast. More intense smoky flavor if cooked (longer) low & slow, but that's a matter of personal preference.

No health hazard with low & slow turkey as long as it's cooked to an internal temp of 160-165*F breast, 170-175*F thigh.

I don't mess with low & slow turkey anymore.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I will definitely go low and slow. I`m guessing a crispy skin overcomes a strong smoke flavor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daniel, if you want a stronger smoke flavor, you can always add more wood to a high heat cook and get both. I'd recommend a trial run on a chicken so you get a feel for how readily poultry in general picks up smoke; it's pretty quick. That being said, it's easy to over-smoke a bird.

Paul

I have tried chicken. Low and slow indirect in a charcoal bbq. It was fantastic. I`m going to try hot and fast and test the difference. Thanks for your imput.

Back