Friday Night Pork Butt

Mike Coffman

TVWBB Olympian
I had a rare Friday off so decided to throw a pork butt on the smoker.

DSC00486_r-2.jpg

8 pound pork butt (trimmed of excess fat cap), coated with jalapeno honey mustard and John Henry's jalapeno rub. I decided to try something a little different this time and scored the top and bottom before applying mustard and rub.

DSC00492_r-2.jpg

On to the smoker at 225, full water bowl and chunks of apple and hickory, at 8:15 AM.

DSC00494_r-2.jpg

4 hours in temp at 140 internal, stirred the coals and sprayed with apple juice mixed with John Henry's.

DSC00495_r-2.jpg

7 hours in temp at 162 internal, added more coals and sprayed with apple juice/john henry's combination.

DSC00497_r-2.jpg

Removed from smoker after 12 total hours and internal temp of 187. My thermapen almost went through the meat as it was more than ready. Going to rest for about 30 minutes.

DSC00502_r-2.jpg

Real moist and juicy when pulled. (Note to self, get BEAR CLAWS..
icon_biggrin.gif
)

DSC00505_r-2.jpg

Plated for late evening dinner. No sides needed or wanted tonight.

It was very delicious, moist and chewy where it needed to be. I really didn't notice any difference with this one that I scored and the ones that I just apply mustard and rub on. With it scored it almost looks like a ham, but definitely didn't taste hammy. The only real problem that I ran into was the wind. It was 70 degrees here today and this morning it started out nice. But by the 4th hour the wind kicked up to around 15-20 MPH and stayed that way for the next 6 hours. But hey, not complaining about 70 degrees cuz any type weather is BBQ weather as far as I am concerned.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for looking, everyone have a super(bowl) weekend!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No sides needed or wanted tonight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With sandwiches like these, who needs sides anyway?!

Great job!

Back