What device to use for indirect cooking of say chicken?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I'm interested in cooking some chicken with the Q, but want to leave wood chips on the grill surface and cook it a little longer so it will pick up some smoke flavor. What can I put down on the grill to achieve this?

What I do with chicken on my Baby Q (Q100) is cook on the grate long enough to get good grill marks and color.
Remove chicken and lay tin foil on the grate with a cake rack on top of the foil. Chicken goes on the rack. The foil stops any flair ups and the rack keeps the chicken from cooking in a pool of grease. Wood chips would go on the grate during the browning stage.

I like it. But need to get a cake rack! Maybe tonight I can use a perforated foil tray turned upside down. I'm probably just going to do a couple leg quarters to try it out.

Firebricks are your friend. A box of 6 cost me about $10. I wrap them in heavy aluminum foil and use them as heat buffers. They are basically bricks made from the same material that pizza stones are made out of.

Put a few down to make a heat shield. Then cook the chicken in either a disposable foil pan, or a boat you make out of more foil.

The higher lid of the Q220 helps out here, since the firebricks are about 1.5 inches tall.

It's best to buy yourself a trivet which looks like a cake rack but thicker.
Place a doubled over sheet of foil on the grates leaving at least 1-2 inches all way round the edges from the sides of the grate, with a knife, make a series of slits in the foil between the grillbars so any fats and oils can drip down to the tray underneath, place the trivet in the middle of the foil and place chicken ontop.Grill with control 2 notches down from Hi, this seems to be the sweet spot for grilling or roasting, if you want lower temps, just turn down as low as possible.
This method allows the hot air inside the Q circulate around and under the food giving you even cooking.
You could also place the trivet inside a thick foil tray if you wish to retain some juices to use for basting etc; as long as the chicken has air underneath.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Davo

Thanks folks. I used a little bit of all the advice and cooked a very tasty whole chicken. It was awesome.

I did it indirect by first putting down a layer of foil then put a perforated foil tray turned upside down on top of it. Chicken went on top of this after an initial searing (for color) on the grill itself.

Cherry smokewood was used. My wood still does not want to start smoking well even with preheating so I hit it with a propane torch and that got it going!

Cooked in indirect at 340 (lowest I could get it) an hour or so until it was 160 inside. used the Hillbilly Willy run found here. Delicious.

Back