Menudo Recipes

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
I know this is a longshot since this is not a smoking question but does anyone have a good menudo recipe? I can get all the Mexican foodstuffs since I live near the border.

Thanks in advance.

I can't find the recipe I've used but this one is very close.
Jim

Menudo
Ingredients
2 pounds honeycomb tripe
1 (1-1/2-pound) veal knuckle
6 cups water
3 medium onions, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (15-ounce) can hominy
Pequin chiles or crushed red pepper
Lime wedges

Instructions
Cut tripe into 1-inch pieces. Place in a dutch oven with veal knuckle, water, onions, garlic, salt, coriander, oregano, the 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 3 hours till tripe has a clear, jellylike appearance and veal is very tender. Remove veal knuckle from pot. When cool enough to handle, discard bones; chop meat and return to soup. Add undrained hominy; cover and simmer 20 minutes longer. Serve with pequin chiles or crushed red pepper to taste. Garnish with lime wedges.
This came from better Homes and Gardens

Jeff,

Here's the way we cook tripe in Spain.

CALLOS A LA MADRILE?A

1 lb. beef tripe
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1 pig's foot, split in half
2 sprigs parsley
10 peppercorns, lightly crushed
2 cloves, crushed
dash of nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon thyme
salt
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 lb. Spanish chorizo or longaniza in 1/4 inch slices (Don't substitute Mexican chorizo--way too fatty.)
1/4 cup diced cured ham
1 tblsp. flour
1 tblsp. good paprika
1/2 dried red chili pepper, seeds removed, crumbled

Rinse the tripe well. Place in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and then drain immediately. Cut the tripe into 1 1/2 inch squares and return it to the empty pot. Add 3 cups water, wine, tomato, pig's foot, parsley, peppercorns, cloves, nutmeg, bay leaves, thyme, salt, the coarsely chopped onion, and the garlic. Cover and cook over a low flame for 4-5 hours, or until almost tender.

In a medium skillet, heat the oil and saut? the finely chopped onion until it is wilted. Add the chorizo and ham and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and paprika and cook a minute. Add 1/2 cup of cooking liquid from the pot and stir until the mixture thickens. Add this and the chili pepper to the tripe and cook 1-2 hours more, covered. Uncover and cook another 1-2 hours, or until extremely tender.

Remove the bone from the pig's foot and discard. Cut the meat into pieces and stir into the tripe. Serve accompanied by a green salad, a good crusty bread and a couple of bottles of good red wine.

Buen provecho,

Jim L.

Back