Momofuku 48 hr Short Ribs

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'd like to thank David Chang for his 48 hr short rib recipe. Sure cooking short ribs at 140* for 48 hrs results in something amazing, but the marinade/sauce and the whole final dish was very special.

The recipe starts with marinading the short ribs in a standard Korean style marinade (soy sauce, pear juice, apple juice, mirin, sesame oil, sugar, pepper, onion, carrot, scallion, garlic). I bought a large pack of short ribs months before I had my sous vide setup. So, I made the marinade, added it to the bag with the ribs, froze the bag, sealed it, and kept it frozen until I got my sous vide rig running a few months later.

On sunday, I thawed the bags and dropped them in at 140*. Tuesday, I pulled them out and put the bags into an ice bath. The marinade gets strained and reduced. Some protein in the sauce coagulated during reduction so I strained it again.

The ribs get trimmed off the bone and were to be deep fried, but I opted for the grill.

out of the bags
IMG_1228.JPG

on the grill
IMG_1231.JPG

because of the amount of unrendered fat still in the ribs, and my desire to sear them as fast as possible, flare ups were inevitable. It was a major downside to grilling them as the ribs got a bit sooty.

The final plate gets a spoon of sauce, pickled mustard seeds, a blanched scallion, pickled carrots, maldon salt and dashi braised diakon (omitted due to the separate trip needed to get diakon)

IMG_1234.JPG

the beef was everything you would expect, meltingly tender and rich with fat. The maldon salt gave it a crunch, and seasoned it perfectly. The sauce and the seeds were perfect and didn't overshadow the meat. Pretty much the only fault was the blanched scallion, which became tough and stringy.

I picked some bad slices for my money shot, they were some of the fattier slices.

And to round out the meal and all from the same book, we made roasted cauliflower with fish sauce vinaigrette, asparagus with miso butter, and ginger scallion noodles.

Those are outstanding!
"I picked some bad slices..." Any more "bad" slices can be sent to me!
?/ Are you still running the FW without any additional circulation? Assuming you generally happy with the set up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ?/ Are you still running the FW without any additional circulation? Assuming you generally happy with the set up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a baking rack to keep the bags off the bottom and a small aquarium pump for circulation.

After auto-tuning, the unit makes some big swings getting up to temp, but is dead nuts on temp the rest of the way. I figured starting it up 1-2 hours prior is a small price to pay for accuracy.

If you don't own this cookbook, let me know. I'll send you the recipe. Other than straining the marinade a few times during the entire process, there's nothing to it. And during the 48 hrs the ribs cook, you'll find plenty of time to make the carrots and mustard seeds.

I'm really impressed with the sous vide cooks you've posted. These ribs are flat out wonderful. Great plating and the sauce sounds like the perfect harmony. Spectacular cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm really impressed with the sous vide cooks you've posted. These ribs are flat out wonderful. Great plating and the sauce sounds like the perfect harmony. Spectacular cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I could say there was much to it, but honestly this was one of the simplest things I've ever made. Other than taking the time to strain the sauce a couple of times, and following the recipe to the letter, I didn't really need to apply any skill. Hence my thanks to the author. Everything I've made out of his book has been exceptional.

Have you posted pictures of your sous vide setup or explained the technique previously? I'm curious to know what's involved.

Edit: Just read the wikipedia entry on sous vide. What an absolutely interesting process. I so want to try it. Would LOVE to see how a brisket or pork butt would turn out. Do you sear your meats before or after going through the primary cooking process?

Re-Edit: LOL Curious to know which equipment you're running. Was looking at Polyscience's website, cuisinetechnology.com....they have some interesting stuff over there. It's like a chemistry lab. LOL Some informative videos there too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Have you posted pictures of your sous vide setup or explained the technique previously? I'm curious to know what's involved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc and I run food warmers controlled by and Auber PID. You can read more here. The rig will cost you about the same as a small sous vide supreme and you'll get better control and unlimited capacity.

here's a shot of a whole rack of st louis spares and a chunk of brisket in the food warmer:
IMG_6704.JPG

and here's a shot of the food warmer with the PID:
IMG_6524.JPG

thought I'd post the recipe, it seems like it would work as a general marinade.

Short Rib Marinade (enough for 8 ribs)

2 ½ cups (200 g) water
½ cups plus 2 tablespoons (150 g) usukuchi (light soy sauce)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (42 g) pear juice
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (42 g) apple juice
2 ½ teaspoons (23 g) mirin
1 tablespoon (13 g) sesame oil
1 ¼ cups (250 g) sugar
10 grinds black pepper
½ small onion
1 small carrot
3 scallions, whites only
2 garlic cloves
Combine in a pot and bring to boil, simmer for 10 min, strain the solids, and cool.

It seems like a very restrained marinade, except for the sesame oil, which actually seems a bit heavy handed. Go figure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It seems like a very restrained marinade, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was impressed at how subtle it was, it complimented the beef well, and the garnish of Maldon salt was just enough to properly season it. There seemed to be some forethought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> except for the sesame oil, which actually seems a bit heavy handed. Go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing it might be heat sensitive, and flavors dissipate during the 48 hrs. It wasn't unbalanced.

As a rule, sous vide can do things to flavors that are unexpected. I guess maybe posting the marinade might be pointless if its only useful in this application.

You are truly a mad scientist - and it works well. Where do you have room for all this stuff?

Jim, the previous owner of my house built a small dark room in the basement. I was fully intent on useing it, as I was slowly accumlating equipment, but the the bottom fell out if chem photography, and everything going digital. I keep it clean and has a sink so it works for this kind of stuff. The room is small so I have to be creative how I use it and store stuff in it.

j biesinger,

Did you get the multi purpose Auber or just the regular Sous Vide controller? If you got the multi purpose, what justified the extra $40 for you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you get the multi purpose Auber or just the regular Sous Vide controller? If you got the multi purpose, what justified the extra $40 for you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the more expensive model so I could run the full size food warmer.

I was using an aquarium pump, but I don't much quick, precision cooking so I stopped.

Back