Spatchcock turkey, no need to ice the breast

Garry W.

Just wanted to pass this along if anyone wanted to try it, this is just my preference and not intended to say my way is better than yers
icon_wink.gif
I always spatchcock a turkey when cooking so that it cooks faster and has less chance of drying out, cavity down of course. The best part about this method is after you remove the spine and butterfly the turkey, the legs & thighs are hanging by a small amount of skin. I just snip the skin and cook the legs & thighs alongside the breast. Now, since they are separate you can remove the breast when ready & not worry about having to ice down the breast ahead of time or other methods I have seen, and yes, I'm just to lazy to do all that
icon_smile.gif
If you try this I hope it works as well for you as it does me. My apologies if this has already been discussed

No apology needed, Garry. It's a great way to cook 'em, and I would probably use both racks if cutting up another turkey for my 18.5" cooker. Breasts would go on the bottom rack over the water pan, and the thighs/legs on the top rack. Great idea!

Back